Map Generator

Started by Drabus, June 22, 2013, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drabus

Alright, so as far as I know, there is one setting for maps, and it is random - that is great. In order to increase re-playability and to give a lot of different options, I'd like to see a few options:

1 - the current version. "Quick setup" or something.
2 - A little more in-depth with a few additional options
3 - Advanced - this could be combined with 2 if needed.

Possible options include - most of which have a range of options, such as none, few, many, lots
1 - Map Size - Small/Med/Large etc
2 - Amount of debris/rocks etc. (Speaking of which, I'd like a "mine" type option, such as "clear rocks/debris" for people to go and clear areas)
3 - Amount of mountainous region (or whatever the impassable terrain is called)
4 - Amount of mineral deposits
5 - Amount of random pick-up raw materials
6 - Intensity of raids/events (good and bad in one bar?)

Also, I'd love to see an option for people creating their own maps and sharing them. This would lead to a fan base that can make maps, that could even be incorporated into mission-types. Or just tactical fun.

On those notes, I'd also love to see (although this could be harder!) in a much-later future build a sort of mission system or campaign, that follows a story of going through this colony and colonizing the planet/system? Each mission with different objectives and events.

Tynan

I'll definitely want to have more depth in map generation. It's basically the minimum that works at the moment.

I'll probably leave this as it is for a while, though. There's a fairly delicate balance of how much resources there are, how many rocks, and so on, that can get thrown off remarkably easily. When we do have more options, I'm hoping they'll be embedded in a larger set of choices more along the lines of "what planet do you want to crash on and where" instead of the more meta layer of setting densities etc directly.

In terms of setting the raider frequencies, that's actually part of a bigger system I'm calling the AI Storyteller. The Storyteller handles _all_ the incidents that come at your colony, from raiders to trader visits to disease, fires, resource drops, and so on. By putting these together in an integrated system, we can have the AI watch what's happening in the colony and figure out what to do next to produce an interesting story (or to produce the kind of story that you would want to see). I would like be able to set different storytellers that produce different kinds of stories.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LouisTBR

I AM REVIVING THE OLDEST TOPIC ON THE SUGGESTIONS THREAD! THANK YOU!

User was warned for this post. Rule 8 of the forum rules specifically states no content-free bumping.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

GamerGuy

Why did you revive/necro a 2 1/2 year old topic And then not contribute to it?

Toggle

Yeah. The thread was dead, Tynan said sometime in the future possibly, but it's unlikely he's doing that soon since there's a lot of other stuff that take more priority right now, AND he's away for 4-5 months right now, so... yeah.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Coenmcj

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite