[W| 0.7.584] Bills Ignoring Regular Pathfinding

Started by Damien Hart, October 21, 2014, 01:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Hart

I'm not sure if this is by design, but it seems that bills are checking the nearest available material by linear distance, and not by pathing distance. In the screenshot below, the colonists were taking stone chunks from left of the wall, even though the ones on the right are clearly closer, even within the same region as the table.

MaxWR

Yeah i have seen that a bunch of times as well. Its an issue with the very stiff round shaped collection area you can designate for the Table. I would love to change the shape of it and move it around.

Its especially annoying when the stones are just on the other side of a wall but they have to walk like 2 days just to get outside. So for now I just put the Stonecutterstable right in the middle of the dumping pile.

But i don't think its by design.

StorymasterQ

Not quite by design, but it is an effect/consequence of Tynan's region system. Try watching Tynan's explanation when he showcased this.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Damien Hart

I have seen it (and I just rewatched to make sure) but that only reinforces my point - that the ingredients search is ignoring the region system, where it should be searching its own region, then adjacent regions, and so on and so forth until it finds what it needs. Instead, it's discovering the items on the other side of the wall, 3 regions away, while there are available ingredients within its own region.