Helpful info for publishing mods

Started by Evul, October 21, 2014, 09:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evul

This is just a post help you get started.

Host sites mods:
ModDB
Nexus mods [Official Graphic: Download button]
Modsaholic [Official Graphic: Download button]

Other file upload services:
Dropbox
*PM me and I add more

Topic name:
Follow the community standard so it is easy to know when a mod is outdated or not.
The current community standard and recommended format is:
[AlphaVersion] [Tag] ModName (ModVersion) Possible quote, message or date.

Example names:
[A19] The rose mod (2.1.2a) Give it away!
[A19] RimWorld red carpet mod (Version 2)
[A19] Lockable door mod (v1.30) (2020-10-11)
[A19] New animal boomrat
[A19] [ADDON] New animal boomrat - Blue colour.
[A19] [TEXTURE] White rose - Red roses or white, I bring white.

Current supported tags:
Sub-MOD or ADDON - A sub-mod is a modmod a mod on a mod.
TEXTURE - A pure texture replacement, nothing else.
MODPACK - A pack of mods and textures. Make sure you ask for permission befour making one.
MODLIST - An unofficial list of mods. (Please don't make more then one.)
*We will not stop you if you make a new one. As long as it is logical.

First post templates:
Pick the one you like the most or make your own. Copy the code and shape it to yours.
[center][size=20pt]HEAD[/size][/center]

[color=orange][size=18pt]Description:[/size][/color]
Your description and information of the mod.

[color=orange][b]Sub Topic[/b][/color]
More information about the mod.

[color=orange][size=18pt]Author/Mod Team[/size][/color]
You and other

[color=orange][size=18pt]Download[/size][/color]
Download link your links

[color=orange][size=18pt]How to install:[/size][/color]
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

*The templates are gathered from the most used formats on the board.

Note: When making your own; avoid making a entire topic in one bright sparkly colour and large letters, its just enoying. Its better to be clean but unique. Make your own subtopics in pictures or other creative ways.

RimWorldWiki:
When you have made your first post you might want to add your self to the RimWorldWiki mod List

FAQ:
Q: I can't remove my poll. How do I do this?
A: Send a PM to a moderator with a link to the topic with a poll.

Q: Can my mod or list of mods be pinned?
A: No. It will be unfair to other mod creators if the list or mod is pinned.

Q: Why are there mods from the previous alpha still in the release thread?
A: Mod threads are moved to outdated when the mod has been; inactive for 2 versions back, the user have been inactive for one version back after a new alpha have been released. Usually a cleaning starts after a new version of RimWorld is released.

Page is under edit it will be completed soon.

Iwillbenicetou

Especially Mod Data Base. It is easy, and popular. It also looks nice.

And as a side note, We should limit to what we pin... A bit annoying seeing 5 threads pinned. Just a bit annoying and it feels like everything will be pinned. Just a side note.
EDIT: don't wanna be annoying. :P
Plus, add a page to a website (Wiki maybe?) to where mod creators will publish their Idea's
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Evul

If you was thinking on the tutorials on help i gonna make them in to one thread or try get them on to the wiki instead.

Also i don't pin unuseful stuff, will take a look what is currently pin and unpin it if its outdated. :)

Jaxxa

I think it could be helpful to have a list of mods on the Wiki.

Maybe for each Alpha have a table Grouped by mod type, then alphabetical order with the Name, Short 1 line description and link to the Forum thread.

Rikiki

So let's write an extract! :)

Name: M&Co. Deepdriller+MMS
Description: provides several mining tools from the basic pneumatic pick to the automated deepdriller machine and mobile mineral sonar.
Requirements: M&Co. Common (must be activated before M&Co. Deepdriller+MMS).
Categories: resources gathering, tools, Tynan's genuine "Sci-fi western" theme-friendly
Tehnology level: midworld

Name: M&Co. Security enforcement
Description: provides advanced security assets than can be manufactured: laser weapons with custom warmup animation.
Requirements: M&Co. Common (must be activated before M&Co. Security enforcement).
Categories: weapons, Tynan's genuine "Sci-fi western" theme-friendly
Tehnology level: spacer

I hope this pattern corresponds to what you wanted jaxxa! ;)

Evul

Been tried and done many times, the problem is to maintain it. It often ends up with the person first maintaining it drops of. But i can agree to some existent that some larger mods or projects could have a wiki page, or be mentioned on a wikipage.

Kubouch

Quote from: Evul on October 23, 2014, 10:32:19 AM
Been tried and done many times, the problem is to maintain it. It often ends up with the person first maintaining it drops of. But i can agree to some existent that some larger mods or projects could have a wiki page, or be mentioned on a wikipage.

I think plain listing of mods doesn't work. There were some efforts on the forum but it didn't really work for the reason you wrote. Maybe add a little form similar to Rikiki's ecample and let mod makers fill it - thus maintaining it themselves. Some statistics like mod downloads, endorsements and such would help to sort the mods and choose the best. Maybe a possibility to write a review.

What we need is a proper mod manager. There was one attempt, if I remember corectly, but ended in vain. Proper manager + integrated mod database => eternal pleasure of moddingness.

Evul

Due to early access on steam and how Tynan decide to develop the game the steam workshop might fix some problems :)
Also, about the little form yeah that could work, if mentioned. Cause some modders tend to do one or 4 modes then diaper. Then many reapear 3-5 alphas later.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Evul on October 23, 2014, 05:34:20 PM
Cause some modders tend to do one or 4 modes then diaper. Then many reapear 3-5 alphas later.

Go home Evul, you're drunk. :P

somewhat ontopic however, I'm hoping for the LudeonLauncher to have a modding tool with it.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Evul

Lol autocorrect

*Cause some modders tend to do one or 4 mods then disappear. Then many reappear 3-5 alphas later.

A launcher might do that. It would be neat.

Jaxxa

I was thinking to create a Wiki page and let each authors add their own mod to it.

That way there is no single person maintaining, if an Author does not want to he can simply not add it to the wiki.

Maybe have a new page for each alpha so it does not matter if they disappear, it just wont be on the new Alpha modlist page.

Evul

Evul

Updated the main topic to be a little bit more structure and helpful

Igabod

I am interested to see those First Post templates that are not finished yet apparently. I have been struggling to find a decent format for mine and would definitely use a template if it is clean looking and includes all the necessary information spots.

Evul

Oh forgot to add it xD Added one of them.
have not finished the other one.
I try to mix them with the current first post of the forum.

HEAD

Description:
Your description and information of the mod.

Sub Topic
More information about the mod.

Author/Mod Team
You and other

Download
Download link your links

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.