Outdated Tutorials?

Started by Clipz, October 23, 2014, 08:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipz

I decided to give modding a go, after being a long time lurker. So I visited the Wiki and followed the very first tutorial there (http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Tutorials/Getting_Started). After much failure, I wondered if the problem wasn't me but the tutorial, so I downloaded the tutorial files and plopped those into my mods folder, unsurprisingly enough, it didn't work (" you can download a zip archive here" - contains a link to the tutorial and a pre-made example of what you're going to create.)

I've attached an image of the console errors.

I'm just assuming that the tutorial is outdated now, if so, is there any up-to-date tutorials on modding, or any help anyone can offer?

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

mrofa

Yehh its outdated.
For each current version best tourtial is to go into Mods/Core/Defs/ThingDefs/ and read .xml files there to see what and how works
All i do is clutter all around.

Clipz

Thanks for the reply and yeah, that's what I've been doing.

Igabod

I encountered the same problem when I went to make my first mod. Those tutorials should be taken down even if nobody is going to update them. What helped me most was looking at the simple mods on the forum and figuring out what they changed from the core mod files. It really is far more simple than it seems to be at first. Most of it is just copy-pasting stuff from the core mod and then changing the details a bit.

Clipz

It is pretty misleading to just leave them there. Anyway, I'll give what you said a try, thanks!

Igabod

Quote from: Clipz on October 27, 2014, 09:54:08 AM
It is pretty misleading to just leave them there. Anyway, I'll give what you said a try, thanks!

No problem. And if you need any help you can always message me. I'm no expert, but I am willing to provide any assistance I can. And if I can't help you I'll try and point you toward someone who can.

Clipz

Quote from: Igabod on October 27, 2014, 11:00:20 AM
No problem. And if you need any help you can always message me. I'm no expert, but I am willing to provide any assistance I can. And if I can't help you I'll try and point you toward someone who can.

Ah cheers, it means a lot, I may take you up on that somewhen!

skullywag

Feel free to pm me anytime. Happy to help with anything I can. can't promise ill reply instantly but I will reply. :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Clipz

Quote from: skullywag on October 27, 2014, 03:30:30 PM
Feel free to pm me anytime. Happy to help with anything I can. can't promise ill reply instantly but I will reply. :)

I will be sure too, thank you, it means a lot! Everyone's so nice here :)