How big do bedrooms have to be before colonists stop complaining?

Started by ShadowDragon8685, November 06, 2013, 06:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowDragon8685

Currently, I've debuted 5x5 bedrooms, and my colonists are still complaining about cramped quarters, saying "I feel like I have no room to breathe."

Do these greedy so-and-sos actually require 10x10 bedrooms to not be unhappy about the quarters?
Raiders must die!

w00d

W1Z25

CyborgTriceratops

What size rooms do you use? I tend to find that colonists aren't happy unless they have a 6x6 room, so that's what I've been digging them inside the mountain. I see a lot of people give them 2x2 or 2x3 rooms, but if I do that I always get "cramped environment" as a negative happiness. I prefer the look of bigger rooms, with prisoner shacks located outside or in cramped quarters, but I am not sure if that's a smart move. I just played on the new, easier Casandra version (can't remember the name) and made it past 2 raids before the 3rd one blew up a turret with 3 of my guys running by it, so I haven't gotten very far.

null

I always do 5x7 rooms for my colonists.
For prisoners, I usually have a small cell block with 3x4 rooms.

CyborgTriceratops

I've started leaning towards doing barracks style prisoner cells, with multiple beds next to eachother.

nomadseifer

3x3 rooms do me just fine.  Just make sure they're clean. 
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

Amaror

I am currently doing a challenge run on Kassandra using no turrets or funnelling tactics. Since this leads to every colonist being REALLY important i do everything to keep them happy. And since  6 * 6 are pretty ugly with a bed in the middle and only one wide door, i gave them 7 * 7. It's going well so far, too. I survived i think 4 - 5 raids. Sadly i am down to three guys again, since one of my guys died on the third raid. And i have not been getting any prisoners and the only other raider i injured, except the first lonely guy you get, instead of killed, had only 2 hp left, so i couldn't get him into a bed fast enough.

Kingmal

I use 2 x 2 rooms with blue carpets, standing lamps, and 1 bed. I find putting carpets and smooth stone works best for my hallways, with green or red carpets in buildings themselves. Oddly enough, my prisoners have larger and nicer rooms than my colonists - they get an extra 2 squares and a flower pot.

EDIT: The gamemode you're talking about is Chill Cassie Classic. She's not that easy though, you should use blasting charges for at least one raid to get good weapons even if you want to play fair.
Proud member of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation - First against the wall when the revolution comes!

W1Z25

Quote from: Kingmal on November 08, 2013, 05:32:24 PM
I use 2 x 2 rooms with blue carpets, standing lamps, and 1 bed. I find putting carpets and smooth stone works best for my hallways, with green or red carpets in buildings themselves. Oddly enough, my prisoners have larger and nicer rooms than my colonists - they get an extra 2 squares and a flower pot.

EDIT: The gamemode you're talking about is Chill Cassie Classic. She's not that easy though, you should use blasting charges for at least one raid to get good weapons even if you want to play fair.

i go even smaller

1x4 with a bed/lamp/door with metal floors..(carpets once researched) and i have no issues

CyborgTriceratops

Do carpets and Smooth Stone stack to increase happiness levels?

Dragula

I noticed that the cramped environment goes away at 5*6 so i'm now i'm slowly upgrading bedrooms from 3*3 to 5*6.

skittles32009

I did a bit of testing to find the exact requirements to remove the cramped environment moodlet(too much sims 3 for me lol) from the colonists and this is what I've come up with...

first off, the head of the bed(where the pillow is) can't be touching 2 walls at once regardless of the size of the room. In the picture this refers to the red squares.

I've also come to the conclusion that 27 squares in a non odd shaped room is the bare minimum. so a 5x5 with 2 randoms squares added anywhere, or a 6x4 with 3 random squares attached anywhere such as in the picture.

Also referring to the picture, a 7x3 is too odd of a size for the colonists, as well as a 8x2.

If anyone else has done some testing and found other information regarding this subject, I'm interested to know :D

EDIT: OK so i did some more testing involving adding items to the room. IE: plants and lights.
while looking into this, I've discovered that each colonist seems to be able to see 2 squares in front of them-this is for deciding if the room is pleasant or beautiful. it seems that if they can see 1 plant, the room is seen as pleasant, if they see 2 plants it is seen as very pleasant, and 3+ make it beautiful. All of this was tested with carpet in the room.

Now, back to the bare minimum to create a non-cramped room, with a beautiful view.
my conclusion is that each room requires 27 free squares in order to deter the cramped environment moodlet from the colonists. beds, lights and any chairs do not count as taking up a square so you can place as many as you want in a room. However plants seem to count as 1 square, so in order to get those 3 plants in there as well, with the 27 free squares, we need 30. IE: 6x5 room.

Im still testing out the bed positions, but so far just the corners make it cramped.

TL;DR   
colonists see 2 squares in front of them when deciding the rooms beauty.(props to RH for bringing this to my attention)
6x5 room, 3 plants, 1 light, 1 bed, carpet = no negatives for the colonist.
This is just from my testing, its not definitive but so far it seems to be the bare minimum to achieve no cramped environment as well as beautiful environment.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

CyborgTriceratops

Hmm, I'll have to do some testing on my own then to see how it goes. If I can survive a game for any amount of time.

rh

I found this here to be a good compromise. 3x3 room with bed, light and 2 plants. It is 'cramped' but also 'beautiful' on almost all tiles, so overall +10 happiness. If standing on the bottom tile of the bed colonists think the room is only 'very pleasant'. I think this indicates that colonists check their surroundings in a ca. 2 tile radius. If I place more plants into the room it becomes 'very cramped', indicating that the number of walkable (or completely free?) floor tiles is the key factor here.

Walking around in a bigger room with a carpet and plant pots kinda confirmed that: the amount of walkable tiles around the settler removes 'cramped', the carpet alone makes it 'pleasant'. If a plant is within 2 tiles it becomes 'very pleasant', with 2 plants it becomes 'beautiful'.

A bit more testing is necessary, 2 tile radius sounds a bit short sighted and I wonder if that counts for perceiving all objects, including corpses. Maybe it's weighed and objects further away count less.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]