[MOD Request / Discussion] Migrants / extra recruitment options

Started by Noobshock, October 24, 2014, 02:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

So I searched for "migrants" and got nothing in return, hence I'm opening this thread.

This is for any mod ideas, dll and otherwise, that would allow the player to negotiate with say a lone visitor to have him join you (could incur a penalty with another faction, albeit a lot smaller than for kidnapping), or just wanderers who spontaneously want to join you (those could be rare or could have more of an emphasis on negative traits -they might be wanderers for a reason- to counterbalance) and the player has to decide whether they want to accept them or not.

Any and all ideas, proof of concept, etc, are welcome.

Matthiasagreen

The wanderers joining you is currently in the game, and like you said, extremely rare. Just an FYI. The idea of more options to interact with visitors is one that has been tossed around a bit and I feel will be worked on in the future. But just to clarify, I +1 the idea of a separate way to attempt recruiting on friendly groups without upsetting the group.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Noobshock

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 24, 2014, 03:02:22 PM
The wanderers joining you is currently in the game, and like you said, extremely rare.

I've literally never had it happen and I've ran some pretty wealthy/happy colonies. Would you mind elaborating on how it currently works? I'm curious.

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Noobshock on October 24, 2014, 03:04:08 PM
The wanderers joining you is currently in the game, and like you said, extremely rare.

I've literally never had it happen and I've ran some pretty wealthy/happy colonies. Would you mind elaborating on how it currently works? I'm curious.

It is one of the ways the game helps you to increase population when you are low, just like space refugees and slave ships. It also won't happen at all if you are higher in population, just like the other two.  A side envelope appears and says something like "PERSON has wandered by and has decided to join uyour colony. For an example in-game of this event, you can spawn it in dev mode. I don't know exactly where it is, but it reads something like "trigger wandererjoin." Sorry for the lack of specifics, I am at work and don't have access to the game.

edit: I did a quick search and it is under execute incidents in Dev mode
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Pan.Q

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on October 24, 2014, 03:07:45 PM
It also won't happen at all if you are higher in population

Wanderers joining colony isn't really that rare, and it don't happen only when you have low population, my colony (Jacobstown) had 27 colonists, it was really too much for me, within 1 rl hour i got 2 of them. You just need to be lucky and have good prospering colony, that's the factor i think.

Im the Excalibur weaponry wielder
Do you dare to step into the deadliest field of
Hardcore hip-hop, we laugh at your idols
Fuck your advice, I walk the path of the psycho.

Weyrling

It'd be nice if you could contact colony/settler ships with passengers willing to join you (for a cost) without them crash landing and getting imprisoned until stockholm syndrome kicks in.
They'd presumably be much more expensive than buying slaves, but also probably more skilled (Having intended to settle/join a rim colony in the first place).

I know having ships 'selling' people is pretty easy, but what level of control over what kind of character shows up as an option is there?

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Weyrling on October 27, 2014, 04:51:47 PM
It'd be nice if you could contact colony/settler ships with passengers willing to join you (for a cost) without them crash landing and getting imprisoned until stockholm syndrome kicks in.
They'd presumably be much more expensive than buying slaves, but also probably more skilled (Having intended to settle/join a rim colony in the first place).

I know having ships 'selling' people is pretty easy, but what level of control over what kind of character shows up as an option is there?

I would say they should have less skill to balance out the availability "bonus" - more like the unfortunate and poor seeking their fortune in a distant world far away from home. I think the skilled and rich wouldnt leave their secure and comfortable homes to join a fresh and dangerous colony of misfits fighting for their lives on a daily basis.

Rikiki

You can still encounter a rich young man willing to get away from father's road... ;) Really rich (brings a lot of silver), quite brave and volunteer but not very skilled (he's a bit pretentious) and cannot perform dumb labor.

As for the joining colonist, I think this is part of TTM mod, not in the core game. ???

Pan.Q

its in core game, i played it first time Rimworld v.0.0.254 without mods and it was already implemented
Im the Excalibur weaponry wielder
Do you dare to step into the deadliest field of
Hardcore hip-hop, we laugh at your idols
Fuck your advice, I walk the path of the psycho.

Orion