Deconstructing items for blueprints and deteriorating clothing

Started by kingtyris, October 25, 2014, 02:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

Some pretty simple ideas. I noticed in the changelog that tailoring had been removed as a research requirement, and that weaponsmithing was being added, and that got me thinking; How realistic is it that a colonist would be able to craft a machine gun when they only have a background as a Glitterworld plastic surgeon? But if they sacrificed a captured Uzi for science, it could teach them all they need to know to start reproducing them.

Also, the clothing mechanic is a nice touch, but it seems a little shallow. What if, over time, clothing begins to degrade, representing the wear and tear of a life of tough colony work? This would give tailoring an extra layer of necessity. Also, it would make the wearing of armor a bit more tactical; instead of constantly wearing the armor(because why would you ever take it off at the present?), your colonists would take it off for storage while they performed their day to day chores to avoid damage.

BinaryBlackhole

Deconstructing an item to unlock it after researching the machine need to manufacture it is a great idea. Also  once you have figured out how the item works you could disassemble it into some of its materials.

RawCode

Any human with IQ over 60 able to follow step by step instruction and assemble anything of any complexity.

Since there is no heavy machinery available to forge steel components of common guns, it may be acceptable to allow player to disassemble guns into abstract "gun parts" and then use that gun parts to assemble other types of weapons.

It may be not very realistic to disassemble 5 pistols and assemble rifle from received components, but it will be a lot better then assembling rifle from raw steel with bare hands.

StorymasterQ

Good idea overall, but I agree with RC that some sort of abstraction and suspension of disbelief is required to keep the game fun.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here