New Graphics For The Game

Started by jabbamonkey, October 26, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabbamonkey

Quote from: mrofa on November 06, 2014, 12:50:29 PM
This are very good, but  when you get in 2,5D problem will be for them to good with walls X_X

Not sure I understand what you mean ... 2,5D?
Gramatically, I'm also very confused...

mrofa

Yes my shining english sorry :D

What i mean is that when you make a texture from perspective like your medical cabinet its what is called  2.5D almost 3D (Or atleast i think this is called that way :D)

Hardest thing i found  atleast for me is to make textures fit with walls angels so it dont look like a angled slider on wall as background.
All i do is clutter all around.

jabbamonkey

Yup, that is a huge obstacle. Take a look at the Universal Vending Machine that I did (which REALLY shows the problem).

I wanted to do mainly overhead items ... but in the case of certain items (like the medicine cabinet or the UVM), the top of those items would just show the blank TOP of those items...

Ideally, I should be creating TOP, BACK, and SIDE images. However, this requires editing the XML files in order to do this ... and that isn't my specialty. Plus, I've been focusing on redoing the graphics first, them fixing it where needed later on.

If anyone wants to volunteer to do XML editing, that would be cool. I'd love to work with someone that has strong knowledge of it.

However, I've heard Alpha 8 is going to have some REALLY strong changes with regard to how mods are handled (rumor?)... so this might need to wait. (However, I could always "start" working on the graphics)

mrofa

That is easy actually and its all in range of your texture path changes.
Texture path is mostly in <graphicPathSingle>MyTexture_Folder/MyTextureFile</graphicPathSingle>
To make sides you only need to change graphicPathSingle to graphicPathMulti so it looks like <graphicPathMulti>MyTexture_Folder/MyTextureFile</graphicPathMulti>
Now game will look for 3 files in folder, using code abve as example you will need to make files in your rexture folder named
MyTextureFile_front.png
MyTextureFile_side.png
MyTextureFile_back.png
Green stuff is what will game look for in texture folder

jabbamonkey

So as long as the images with the extensions exist (_front, _back, _side), then the game will use them? Awesome.

skullywag

If you change the xml as stated above it will.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

jabbamonkey

I got it (I see the "multi). Thanks!

jabbamonkey

Quote from: mrofa on November 07, 2014, 03:42:48 AM
Yes my shining english sorry :D

What i mean is that when you make a texture from perspective like your medical cabinet its what is called  2.5D almost 3D (Or atleast i think this is called that way :D)

Hardest thing i found  atleast for me is to make textures fit with walls angels so it dont look like a angled slider on wall as background.

Try these for the medicine cabinet (front, back, then side)...

Since items don't "overlap", I can't make it 100% perfect.

jabbamonkey

I wanted the rock chunks, slag metal, and metal to be differentiated more on the map ... so I recreated the graphics...

Some xml editing will need to be done to get these to show up correctly. I placed them into the correct Mods/Core/ folders ... but that only affected half of the rock/metal/slag images on the map (the other half showed the old images) ... I also tried the Texture Nurse plugin, but that didn't work for these.

skullywag

The multi is using the images from the merged folder (same path) hence half of them work.

jabbamonkey

Quote from: skullywag on November 09, 2014, 02:38:13 PM
The multi is using the images from the merged folder (same path) hence half of them work.

Not sure I understand ...
Are you saying the 3 new images are in one folder (mods/core/textures/things/item/chunk/chunkrock), and the original images are in the source file ... so all 6 are being pulled? 

If so, how do I fix this?

skullywag

both the core game textures and yours end up in the same folder path so both are loaded, so itll be a 50/50 split ingame as youve added the same number of textures. Only way I know is as above change the xml in a mod to have a different folder path then the base game textures wont be loaded by the def.

Sir

Quote from: jabbamonkey on November 06, 2014, 12:06:32 PM
Also, if anyone has the TechTreeMinima Mod installed, I created a ton of graphics for it.  I posted a bunch of the image on the forum in the Post called "[MOD] (Alpha 7) TechTreeMinami v3.2.5 Entertainment Bldgs + Get yo FIXES!!"

You can get the mod here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3464.0
(the graphic updates that I mention are on page 52 of the thread)

These go in the folder: TechTreeMinami A7/Textures/Things/TTMResources/

These go in the folder: TechTreeMinami A7/Textures/Things/TTMResources/MiscResources

Here are some tables and "building" examples...
Goes in the folder:
Tech Tree Minami A7/Textures/Things/Building/

Power items... still working on these...
Goes in the folder:
Tech Tree Minami A7/Textures/Things/Building/Power/

Traps...
Goes in the folder:
Tech Tree Minami A7/Textures/Things/Building/Traps/

Tynan, please buy this man's work!
I'd love to see RimWorld looking like this!
Check out my Suggestions!
Pt. 1 & Pt. 2

jabbamonkey

Quote from: Sir on November 12, 2014, 12:02:11 AM
Tynan, please buy this man's work!
I'd love to see RimWorld looking like this!

He can use the graphics.  I think he might not want to upset the original artist though (they put alot of time into the artwork that is there already).

mrofa