MultiRIM - A concept

Started by apljee, October 20, 2014, 06:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apljee

Just a concept for MultiRIM - a multiplayer version of RimWorld. I'll probably update this post later, but for now it'll remain as this small bit. I've seen it done for multiple other games, such as Game Dev Tycoon, where people wouldn't even imagine multiplayer. Why not RimWorld?

Let's huddle together some advanced modders, lock ourselves in our bedrooms for two weeks, and see what the product is. I wish to see some opinions, concepts, ideas, and suggestions.

Keep in mind: I'm only learning XML. Perhaps in a few weeks, months perhaps, I'll have sharpened skills and I'll be able to assist someone with "MultiRIM".

Keep in mind, this is no real project. Just a mere proposal, concept, and idea that's been said before.

Thoughts?

blaze7736

Hey i have only done simple things with mods so i don't now where i would start but it would be cool to live trade between colony's eg you can sell food to a friend who is also playing the only way i could see this working is through a request system where one player sends the trade out eg 50 food for 150 silver and then the other play can accept or deny and when they accept the trade happens.   

apljee

Quote from: blaze7736 on October 21, 2014, 01:47:17 AM
Hey i have only done simple things with mods so i don't now where i would start but it would be cool to live trade between colony's eg you can sell food to a friend who is also playing the only way i could see this working is through a request system where one player sends the trade out eg 50 food for 150 silver and then the other play can accept or deny and when they accept the trade happens.   

The way I see it, is that perhaps it could be live, and hosted by a server. People can join the server openly (probably a set amount of slots) and pick a spot on the map to colonize. They can see other places where people have colonized, as well. After they pick the spot, they will be able to send groups of traders, visitors, raiders, etc that can be commanded when they arrive to the other colony. This could also utilize the comms statiosn to be for more than getting faction rep and trading.

RawCode

Quoteonly learning XML
Quotea multiplayer version of RimWorld

I wish you luck, but you simply can't implement multiplayer via XML defs.

also i will ask single question, how you are going to implement time controls in MP, especially how pause going to work in MP?

apljee

Quote from: RawCode on October 21, 2014, 06:12:14 PM
Quoteonly learning XML
Quotea multiplayer version of RimWorld

I wish you luck, but you simply can't implement multiplayer via XML defs.

also i will ask single question, how you are going to implement time controls in MP, especially how pause going to work in MP?

Most likely will try to figure out a way to keep the time cycle going after someone pauses the game, is really the only option to do. My thought would be instead of pausing, just quitting the server.

And, I just don't have much knowledge in server coding in general. (As far as I know, I only think it has to do with PHP which I only know bits of)

RawCode

Coding game in PHP?

I think coding server with HTML with SSL is better option...

blaze7736

Yer i see what you mean about the server with multiple colony played by others. For the Speed thing what happens if you made it like the KSP multi-player mod where you sink time when you want to interact on the same time zone. Also this defiantly cant be done in XML that's why we need people who now how to program really well especially on a server level.   

apljee

Quote from: blaze7736 on October 22, 2014, 04:38:56 AM
Yer i see what you mean about the server with multiple colony played by others. For the Speed thing what happens if you made it like the KSP multi-player mod where you sink time when you want to interact on the same time zone. Also this defiantly cant be done in XML that's why we need people who now how to program really well especially on a server level.   

I've got some good contacts within the Greenheart Games forum (specifically coders for the multiplayer mod(s) of the game.) Perhaps I can contact them and see if they're willing to help.

And, RawCode, again, I know about 0% of server coding that's actually required to make server software, servers, and other aspects of it. But, I'm guessing that this mod could actually happen eventually down the road. But, yeah.

I might be able to get some help with a multiplayer aspect for Rimworld using the help of GHG Modders.

Jaxxa

How hard it is really depends on what type of multiplayer you want.

If you only want to be able to trade, that will be relatively easy, I am actually working on a mod (might be ready for Alpha8) now that will allow you to trade between your separate colonies, and could relatively easily be expanded to other peoples colonies.

On the other hand multiple people building or controlling papwns in realtime on the same map is a another thing completely.

Lozza

I really like this concept! One of my friends is going to get Rimworld soon, and he would like to multiplay with me, but it isn't in vanilla yet. Unfortunately, all I can really do at this stage is create a simple workbench, so I can't help you, but I would love to see this done!

Pan.Q

the concept is really good but i think it could be better if it will be like "team game", i mean 1 colonist per 1 gamer, just like in idk haven and hearth or sumthin, then it could be really challenging to protect your colony when the other "team" will raid you.
Im the Excalibur weaponry wielder
Do you dare to step into the deadliest field of
Hardcore hip-hop, we laugh at your idols
Fuck your advice, I walk the path of the psycho.