Forced Labor

Started by Monkeysaur, September 06, 2014, 06:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkeysaur

I would like to be able to use prisoners without having them join my colony.

I want to put them to work in the mines and on the plantation.

This could work by having a prisoner option of "forced labor".

When this is selected a colonist (armed) will, instead of going directly to carry out mining or growing, will instead go and collect the prisoners set to forced labor.

Then the colonist will take the prisoners either to the grow zone or the mining area and will guard the prisoners while they work. The result will be that a task can be done twice as fast using two prisoners than just one colonist (allowing for the time taken to collect the prisoner) and so this could be practical to use, especially if you have prisoners which you don't like but don't want to execute. There would probably need to be a maximum number of prisoners to a "guard", maybe 4 for example, and there would be maybe some risk of attempted escape. A colonist being able to guard forced labor workers should probably be dependent on some attributes too.

Hope you like my idea. XD

Eulogy

I don't think a slavery simulator 2000 will give the guys at ludeon a very good PR job

Xerberus86

Quote from: Eulogy on September 06, 2014, 07:25:55 PM
I don't think a slavery simulator 2000 will give the guys at ludeon a very good PR job

this isn't slavery but prison work, there is nothing wrong with that because prisoners eat colony food so the least they could do is some manual labor.

look at prison architect, why should it be a PR problem?

Geokinesis

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 06, 2014, 07:34:46 PM

this isn't slavery but prison work, there is nothing wrong with that because prisoners eat colony food so the least they could do is some manual labor.

Prison labour is forced/unfree labour and p. much a facet of modern slavery.

Saying that, Rimworld already has 'traditional' slavery with the slaveships and the fact you can sell your own colonists/prisoners, so I'd doubt adding forced labour would generate any negative PR if the slaveships haven't.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Geokinesis on September 06, 2014, 09:08:46 PM
Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 06, 2014, 07:34:46 PM

Prison labour is forced/unfree labour and p. much a facet of modern slavery.

Saying that Rimworld already has 'traditional' slavery with the slaveships and the fact you can sell your own colonists/prisoners, so I'd doubt adding forced labour would generate any negative PR if the slaveships haven't.

thanks, it's late and i forgot this point^^....ALSO you can butcher and eat people for christs sake, don't be so picky about prison labor!

fyi: in my games i play with TTM (crafting dependant) mod and i need sometimes a big amount of leather for armor / clothing, wild animals are rare in arid shrubland and desert, raiders aren't ;) (leather comes from preparing meat at the clothiers shop, ANY meat does fine).

BetaSpectre

As long as forced labor = dumb labor and nothing 'new' it should be fine.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Nomad8723

Quote'traditional' slavery with the slaveships

Not only is there slaves, but you can have an organ farm where you harvest organs from your prisoners for money.  You can also have a meat farm where you use your prisoners as cattle for a cannibal colony (pic related).  For Christ's sake you can wear their skin.  This game may have an almost 'cutsie' asthetic, but it out-darks Dwarf Fortress, Cataclysm DDA and Prison sim by far.  You can also have a peaceful vegan colony (aside from early defence, as you can later bribe the tribes to be friendly).  It is the freedom of play that makes this game so good.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Noobshock

When you have limbs being shot, organ harvesting and slave ships in the game, I really don't think putting your prisoners to work is going to cause much of a problem. Hell, you can do that in Prison Architect.

Redclaw

Good ide, all my prisoners have to do is sit around and wait for food while my colonists fight off raiders, Seriously prisoners have it better then we do. >:(
The best Bait for visitors is a place to eat.

Wex

Using those 99 difficulty prisoners as bait, while the assassins of the colony get behind the orde and pincer the enemy? Sold!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Evul

I think slave/prison labor could be awesome especially when it comes to relations to other factions.
Have a warder that guards a group of Neolithic miners instead of requiting them. This will also in turn anger the faction, a little bit more. Same goes for buying slaves from the slave trader. You could get a option to release or kept in slavery.

This could also come to a cost of lose of colonist mood cause slavery is bad. :P

It could be a good thing when dealing with larger colonies that don't actually need more people but have allot of stuff to do. :)

SPAZZx7

I endorse this, it would be the first time having 3 useless prisoners drained my food with their currently useless carcus.

Even when I kill them they burden me with.
-5 killed prisoner

Why do my colonist care they know none of them.
Death is common in such as harsh places.

Can't wait until I can make my colonist warship a cult god and let death and things make colonist happy.

Sir

This would be awesome, especially for those prisoners who have a 2% chance of being recruited. It would also give them a chance to get rid of their Cabin Fever by doing work. It could either be supervised work by a Warden, you could assign them a workstation (crafting stone blocks?), hauling, or even if it had to be located inside their room that'd be cool.
Check out my Suggestions!
Pt. 1 & Pt. 2

TrashMan

All you need is an explosive collar. No guard needed wnen the prisoner will loose his head if he strays too far.

HMmm..a special "regenerative" biomod that re-grows lost limbs or organs. You can set up a REAL organ farm then.

And speaking of slavery.
I have  a large cotton plant and 4 prisoners that all happen to be black.
Make it happen.