[B19] Rainbeau's Mods

Started by dburgdorf, September 15, 2018, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morbo513

I see advanced bridges as essential, mechanically. But I have issues with their art, or rather the way they play with adjacent floor tiles. In other words, there's often a gap between the "true" ground and the bridge, meaning bridges made to support half a structure for example, result in that room having a streak of visible river running through it. I remember a bridge mod for B19 that had all the same archetypes (except boardwalks) but didn't have the same issue, the art for the bridges was a lot closer in style to vanilla.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Morbo513 on October 22, 2018, 05:06:17 PMThere's often a gap between the "true" ground and the bridge....

Boardwalks can resolve that problem. Put a boardwalk on the land tile immediately adjacent to the bridge, and no more water showing through a gap. And if you want a nice seam between regular floors and boardwalk tiles, well, floors can be extended under boardwalks, to make the connecting "edge" nice and clean. :)

QuoteThe art for the bridges [in another mod] was a lot closer in style to vanilla.

To each his or her own, I suppose, but I believe you're the first ever to comment on the bridge art who *didn't* think it was reasonably consistent with vanilla's style. *Shrug*
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Morbo513

Unless the style of the vanilla bridges has changed since B19, which I'm honestly not sure of. In other words it was a flat square (not counting the legs) with the same texture as a floor of that type with a slightly different shade. It's not to say I don't like how these bridges look - I think they're great for when they're used as actual bridges, but when used as a structural support for something built partially over water/mud/bog etc, it just triggers me when I have a room with multiple different floor types that aren't at least flush with one another.
The most obvious solution to me is to allow floors to be built on top of bridges, but I don't know how feasible that is.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Morbo513 on October 22, 2018, 07:25:47 PMUnless the style of the vanilla bridges has changed since B19....

I thought you were referring to the graphic style of the game in general, as opposed to the look of vanilla bridges, specifically. No, the mod's bridges (which have been around since a17) don't look like vanilla bridges, which I personally think is a good thing.

Vanilla bridges look like floors because they *are* floors. That's why their edges don't actually look like bridge edges, but just sort of... "cut off".

The mod's bridges, on the other hand, are actually structures. They use the same sort of "atlas" graphic as do walls, which allows them to have defined edges which change as new segments are built. The fact that they're structures is also what allows them (in the case of the wooden bridges) to have "gaps" between planks, through which water can be seen.

When I upgraded the mod from b18 to b19, I actually considered changing the mod's bridges to be terrains rather than structures, just as the new vanilla bridges were, but quickly decided against doing so, as it would have necessitated what I regarded as an unacceptable drop in their graphical quality.

QuoteThe most obvious solution to me is to allow floors to be built on top of bridges, but I don't know how feasible that is.

Unfortunately, it's not feasible, as the game won't allow floors to be displayed "above" structures. And in any event, if you *could* build floors on top of the mod's bridges, you'd just end up with something that looked like vanilla bridges, anyway. So you might as well just *use* vanilla bridges. :)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?