New Figure Artwork

Started by jabbamonkey, October 29, 2014, 04:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabbamonkey

I've been working on some new character skins for the game. This is a daunting task, because not only do you need to reskin each character shape (average, fat, thin, female, hulk), but I needed to reskin the outfits/hats as well.

I tested them out, and they look good. There is still some work that needs to be done, but I wanted to get some feedback...  So, take a look and send some suggestions. If you can, please install and let me know how you think they look IN-GAME. 

DOWNLOAD
Below is a link to download the new skins for the game... (for Alpha 7, although I don't predict this changing much)
http://www.amazingdg.com/clients/rimworld/RimworldFigures.zip

HOW TO INSTALL
The zip file contains all the files and directories in the "Humanoids" texture folder. To add these to your game, unzip the file from the link above (be sure to retain the folder directory structure). Once unzipped, you should have a folder called "Humanoid" - add that folder to the following directory...

Mods/Core/Textures/Things/Pawn/

So, for example, the "Male Average Normal Front" image would end up in...
Mods/Core/Textures/Things/Pawn/Humanoid/Heads/Male/Male_Average_Normal_front.png

Unless you have been modding the game yourself, there should be NO "Humanoid folder" in the "Pawn" directory. So, this wont copy over anything in the game's source files.

OTHER MODS THAT WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS
There are some mods that will conflict with these new characters. Any mods that affect apparel/clothing or hats. The mods below will NOT crash the game, or cause any play issue.... but they will make the characters look funny - hats, hair and apparel will not look right.

More Hair - Since the new hair in this mod is incompatible with the new character shapes.
TTMpatch_Apparello - This adds some apparel to the game, which will be incompatible with the new character shapes.

Just deactive any of these mods before installing.

HOW TO UNINSTALL
If you dislike the images, you can just delete the "Humanoid" folder from the "Pawn" directory and restart the game.

Timber

Second and third on the top look amazing, I'd love to have those as modular armor.
I ask not for a lighter burden but for broader shoulders. -Atlas

jabbamonkey

I'm having two issues with my figure reskinning... I am reworking the images so the outlines are thicker (so you can see the details of their hands/sleves, etc). However, there are some issues with how the game renders the images that I created and some issues with how the game treats layered clothing.

First, take a look at the image below...

You will see an in-game screenshot, next to the original source file. Note the power helmet. The power helmet in the game is getting "squished" horizontally, so it doesn't fit on the figures head (you see his skull popping out of the back). If you look close, the height-width ratio of the helmet is definitely different from the source file. So, is the game squishing the helmet image? If so, what should the actual height-width ratio be for the helmets?  Is this in an XML file somewhere? Also, does this change for every character (this is an odd scenario, since every character has their own graphic images ... which is why character skin modding is a pain)

Second the game is slightly bugged with layered clothing (or so I believe). Sometimes, you can wear a jacket/duster ONTOP of power armor. Other times, you can't. This causes an issue with trying to mod skins... How do you make all dusters/jackets unwearable if you have power armor on (or you take them off, if you put the power armor on)?

jabbamonkey

What would also help would be to know what the vertical offset is for the Hats/Helmets vs the Bodies? How many pixels lower (based on a certain height-width dimensions)

Shinzy

You can wear apparel with other apparel that are on the same layer when they don't cover the same body parts
I did maketh a picture of them (if you ignore the apparello ones it'll explain you what can be worn with what)

onskin middle and shell layers can be worn at the same time
power armors fill middle and the shell layer so they shouldn't be able to be worn with anything except shirt and pants
(Sometimes the game bugs out though, and you'll wear things that shouldn't be able to be worn)

and as for the hats I've always made them perfect fit for both the fattest/tallest heads so when the game strecthes it the colonists will stay modest and not reveal any skin

I don't have any facts about how much it does that =P I usually go with trial and error cause it's the fastest short term solution for everything ;D

*p.s the female eyebrows really creep me out =P they're too dollish for my tastes *brr* (But that's on the personal preference side of things so it can be disregarded! =P)