[MOD] (Alpha 7) Reduced Lethality v1.0

Started by obuw, October 30, 2014, 12:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obuw

I wanted to release a quick mod that reduces lethality in the game, and see what people think.

The aim of the mod is to reduce the luck-based element in combat, where every shot has a tiny chance of taking out a vital organ and killing you outright.

It increases all body part healths:
Most organs and fingers go up from 7-10 to 30.
Vital organs like the Heart and Liver go up from 20 to 40.
Other body parts increased roughly 20 points each. Torso goes from 40 to 60, head goes from 30 to 50, etc.

To compensate, accuracy gained from melee / shooting skills are both greatly increased. The end result is, most of the time your colonists will become incapacitated from extreme pain before losing any limbs or organs.

The mod should be compatible with mods adding new weapons, as it doesn't actually change any weapon values, just body part and melee / shooting skill values. However, it is probably not compatible with body part related mods like extended surgery. (Needs testing)

It is compatible with TechTreeMinami, as I use it with this without any issues.

Please let me know what you think!

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Reysuke

Sounds cool.
Does it work with Surgery Mods? Like Extended Surgery?

Weyrling

Quote from: Reysuke on October 31, 2014, 01:16:49 AM
Sounds cool.
I haven't tested it, but probably not (They both have BodyPartDefs detailing the same parts so one would overwrite the other and both would probably lose functionality, a compatibility patch might be easy enough though).

Better gunmen and tougher pawns sounds like an interesting combo, I should of thought of that, I'm definitely gonna try this mod out soon.
The extraordinarily weak accuracy combined with low hp kept fights in a much different sort of balance normally.
I'm still not sure how somebody standing literally adjacent to an unconscious person could possibly fail to hit them with a shotgun five times, much less somebody who's supposedly a planet-class expert.

obuw

Quote from: Reysuke on October 31, 2014, 01:16:49 AM
Sounds cool.

Probably not, as Weyrling says. :(

It should be easy enough to merge my changes to the extended surgery mod though.

Quote from: Weyrling on October 31, 2014, 02:17:25 AM
Better gunmen and tougher pawns sounds like an interesting combo, I should of thought of that, I'm definitely gonna try this mod out soon.
The extraordinarily weak accuracy combined with low hp kept fights in a much different sort of balance normally.
I'm still not sure how somebody standing literally adjacent to an unconscious person could possibly fail to hit them with a shotgun five times, much less somebody who's supposedly a planet-class expert.

I played a full game with these values, and it felt pretty good. I haven't seen a single raider with a lost body part (I was mostly using miniguns and R4's though). And I haven't lost any body parts for the whole game. But the combat itself didn't seem slower, things still went down pretty quick.

However I think some things need more tweaking, as an M24 could still cause all kinds of trouble, and I was just lucky. I thought armor reduces damage, but it just deflects it or lets all of it go through. That should change in Alpha 8, so I'm very much looking forward to that.

Also, no armor, not even power armor seem to protect the hands, feet, fingers or toes, which is rather problematic.

All in all, I think it would be more interesting if organs weren't as durable as my mod, but losing one in combat didn't instantly kill you, just incapacitate you, so you'd have to be rushed to the doctor and get a replacement. But I'm afraid that is much more complicated to mod (if not impossible).

Rikiki

QuoteAll in all, I think it would be more interesting if organs weren't as durable as my mod, but losing one in combat didn't instantly kill you, just incapacitate you, so you'd have to be rushed to the doctor and get a replacement. But I'm afraid that is much more complicated to mod (if not impossible).

In real life, a headshot even caused by a low-power projectile will most of the time instantly kill you.
Maybe tweak the head part so it remains really capital.

obuw

Yeah. Reallife combat sucks though. There's a reason most people like to avoid the combat game in reallife. :P

The whole point of this mod is to change the "each bullet has a 1% chance to instantly kill you" combat system. Making the head a weak spot would go completely against that.

If armor actually reduced damage rather than deflected it, I could happily reduce body part healths. But with the game as it is, I think high body part values like these are necessary to create more enjoyable gunfights.

Aristocat

Quote from: Weyrling on October 31, 2014, 02:17:25 AM

Quote from: obuw on October 31, 2014, 05:49:33 AM
However I think some things need more tweaking, as an M24 could still cause all kinds of trouble...

Also, no armor, not even power armor seem to protect the hands, feet, fingers or toes, which is rather problematic.

*coughImmersivecough*

obuw

I know! I found out about ImmersiveCombat after I made the mod, you did a great job with it. :-)

But I thought I'd release this one anyway because it works in a different way, by modifying body parts and skill constants instead of weapons and apparel - which makes this mod compatible with stuff like Project Armory and Aparello, while the Immersive is compatible with stuff like Extended Surgery.