Rewriting URLs

Started by Tynan, September 26, 2013, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

So currently rimworldgame.com just redirects to ludeon.com/blog/rimworld, where it's actually hosted.

That's okay, but I think it would be better if it kept rimworldgame.com in the browser and just served the content from ludeon.com/blog/rimworld.

I'm pretty sure there's some way to do this involving some sort of htaccess magic but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is. I've got rimworldgame.com parked with a simple redirect to ludeon.com/blog/rimworld right now.

If any of you are htaccess magicians, I'd appreciate a hand right now. Thank you!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

I can do that, but I need to know a little bit more.

How did you configure both domain names? Where are both sites hosted on? Same server? Same document root (the FTP folder accessed when using only the domain name)? The answer would be different for each case :)

Tynan

Thank you! Okay, so:

ludeon.com is an addon domain of tynansylvester.com. it lives in tynansylvester_root/ludeon.com

rimworldgame.com is a parked domain set to redirect to ludeon.com/blog/rimworld

Everything is hosted on the same server. Does that tell you what you need to know? Here's a screenshot of the config utility. I can change these settings.

Hypolite

I'm not sure how you can do that with your interface, but the first thing would be to remove rimworldgame.com from your parked domains and use it as a full-featured domain name.

Did you pay less for parked domains or is it just a status you can change? Would it cost you anything to change its status?

Tynan

Nah, it's free. I can make al the subdomains I want.

Tynan

If I made it a full featured domain name, it would have its own folder in the tree alongside ludeon.com and its own htaccess. I'm not sure how it would reach the blog page from there. It would have to go into the parent. Hmm.

Hypolite

Once you set it up as a full-featured domain, create a .htaccess at the root folder with the following :

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule (.*)  http://ludeon.com/blog/rimworld/$1 [L,QSA]

Tell me if it works.

Tynan

Thank you! I'll be giving this a shot.

Tynan

So it works as a redirect, problem is it changes the web address to ludeon.com/blog/rimworld, which is what I already have (I've been testing with another domain, worldfall.net)

I really want the URL to stay at rimworldgame.com while serving the content from ludeon.com/blog/rimworld

Hypolite

How much time did you wait between the promotion of the parked domain to a full-featured domain? DNS changes can take up to a few hours to propagate.

For more efficient troubleshooting, I would require access to the new domain FTP. From what I understand, there will be nothing on it except the .htaccess, so I won't be able to break anything  ;)

British

I only have one question regarding this: why is it in the "Off-topic" forum when the "General Discussion" forum is subbed "Talk about Ludeon and RimWorld." ?

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 27, 2013, 10:34:55 AM
I only have one question regarding this: why is it in the "Off-topic" forum when the "General Discussion" forum is subbed "Talk about Ludeon and RimWorld." ?

I think it's because this thread is about the website, maby we should get a "tech support" sub forum going.

British

I understand what you say, but for the time being, the way I see it, the URLs are related to Ludeon and RimWorld, and everything related to Ludeon and RimWorld belong to the General Discussion forum, while everything NOT related to Ludeon or RimWorld belong to the Off-Topic forum.

And yes, I can nitpick all day long ! ;D

enystrom8734

Quote from: British on September 27, 2013, 10:50:17 AM
I understand what you say, but for the time being, the way I see it, the URLs are related to Ludeon and RimWorld, and everything related to Ludeon and RimWorld belong to the General Discussion forum, while everything NOT related to Ludeon or RimWorld belong to the Off-Topic forum.

But URLs themselves aren't related, should the topic be split between the two? :P
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Yarkista

Quote from: enystrom8734 on September 27, 2013, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: British on September 27, 2013, 10:50:17 AM

But URLs themselves aren't related, should the topic be split between the two? :P

Well, it's quite related considering it's about the website of the company.