Is this game single-threaded? It doesn't seem to use multicore fully.

Started by aztekwiz, October 30, 2014, 08:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aztekwiz

I have 2500k @4ghz. Basically I've noticed this game crawls to a very terrible framerate when you have 50+ raiders on the map and a very large colony population. GPU usage is barely reaching 5%. When I look at taskmanager to see the cpu usage, the game's process always hits the 25% cpu usage ceiling mark, and never going beyond it. I always see this kind of thing in oldish games that use only one core (Cities XL for example). Very problematic performance-wise. 

Haplo

Yes the game is single threaded right now. That's because it is still alpha and the priority wasn't the game optimization but the content addition. As far as I know Tynan will do the multi core support, if at all, rather late in the alpha/beta stages.
For now he has better stuff to add ;)

aztekwiz

The problem with single-threading is in the engine itself. I highly doubt multithreading can be made possible with a final retail version. It's a shame. The game itself should be able to run very well even on non-gaming laptops with its very sprite-based visuals if it was not for the crippling cpu bottleneck.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Tynan on October 17, 2013, 02:35:32 AM
I could be multithreading the game. I'm just not yet because I'm not at the stage where I'm trying to optimize that hard. I'll probably do it eventually.

There was a more recent post in which a Tynan and a few members had a less than friendly talk about it, But I believe that's been deleted as I cannot find it.

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

togt

I think I read the same discussion Coenmcj, I think the essence of it was that the code has not been optimized yet, but the game should run no problem on a single core once optimization is done, so why go through all the extra effort of multi-threading it.

Coenmcj

Quote from: togt on November 04, 2014, 01:45:02 AM
I think I read the same discussion Coenmcj, I think the essence of it was that the code has not been optimized yet, but the game should run no problem on a single core once optimization is done, so why go through all the extra effort of multi-threading it.

Yeah, that's the one. I'd rather not get to in depth with it though.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

lude

Quote from: Coenmcj on November 04, 2014, 09:52:35 PM
Quote from: togt on November 04, 2014, 01:45:02 AM
Yeah, that's the one. I'd rather not get to in depth with it though.
Increased map sizes, offloading routines to other cores.

When I think about Optimization it's more like how often certain functions and routines are called, like pathfinding, which will probably make it run better on one core and then I guess this game is pretty IPC dependant due to the amount of things happening