Colony Reputation

Started by Kelian, October 31, 2014, 06:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelian

Hello all,

Was playing through my first game this evening and happened to think. Wouldn't it be cool if your colony could become specialized and earn a reputation based around that specialization?

Say if you produce a ton of medicine or heal a bunch of people. Word gets out your a great rim world clinic stop and you can barter goods for medicine treatment. The more people you help the larger your rep would become.

Colony full of cannibals? Suddenly you're known as people eaters and all cannibalistic lunatics flock to your colony to join your ranks, or hoppers :)

Booming hat business? You could be the best stop this side of the galaxy for western gear.

Weapons, medicine, crops, parts, people, people parts, basically anything in the game you're good at you could specialize and become widely known for. Boosting your income randomly as trade comes in.

Another idea I had was competition. What if we had another group or two of colonists to compete with? Permanent settlers building their own set of structures and competing with the player for the same resources. I feel hat would add some variety and depth, instead of just raids.

My experience thus far is limited, but this game is a ton of fun and I plan to stick around :)

Thanks all

Edit: Specializing your colony would of course be an entirely optional feature and not something the player would be forced to choose. You could remain a normal jack of all trades colony as we are now.

bullwinkle

I love the idea. Build a network of trade outposts of some sort

Kelian

Right? This may also solve the turtling bases problem. If raiders come down, the player doesn't respond, so they start making their own outpost and start competing over the same map, the player will be forced to either accept resource loss, or fight back. Not sure how it'd be balanced but the idea is sound.