From my experience, this is what needs fixed, modified, and added.

Started by oBerry, November 01, 2014, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oBerry

So I got rimworld maybe two weeks ago, and have been playing it nonstop. I find it to be an amazing game, and a fairly unique one. I've already got a colony nearing year 3 and we just broke 30 colonists. However, there ARE a few inconveniences that I found in the game that I think could be easy fixes, or at least not too hard.

1. Crematorium option to only cremate rotten bodies

I have a TON of dessicated and rotting animal bodies on my map. After 2 years, they add up. But you see, I also hunt a lot. So when the crematorium is set to burn animals, it also burns the ones that are perfectly eligible to be made into meat and eaten. An option to burn ONLY rotting or desiccated bodies would save me a whole lot of trouble, and would allow me to do other things than intensely stare at the crematorium and correct my colonist's mistakes.

2. Prison cells

Ok, so I have this setup I do in every world where I make a huge room for prisoners and then I'm done. I don't give them rooms. But now that I'm fairly well into my colony, I would like my prisoners to have tiny cells while still having access to the large room when they aren't sleeping. That way I would have a true prison. But as the build currently stands, if a prisoner is given a cell, he cannot leave it, even if the outside region is also marked as a prisoner area.

3. Cluster and local prioritization

So let me use an example here. Let's say I want to build a wall. Simple enough, right? What I'm asking for is that, when constructing the wall, one colonist will prioritize finishing construction on the wall rather than walking across the map to clean a 1x dirt. Or, instead of just right clicking a single tile and saying "prioritize doing x", you can say "prioritize doing x and in vicinity", or something to that extent where instead of just doing a single thing, it detects any of the same exact action that can be done in the area of the click. Idk if I explained that in an easy-to-understand way, but it's the best I could do.

4. A way to sustain meat supply for a large colony

Again, I will refer to my colony of 30, where they go through meat faster than the herds show up. Hell, the go through it faster than boars, deer, squirrels, turtles, AND boomrats spawn combined. I had times where not an animal was alive on my map and I was still out of meat. I know that there's a mod for animal husbandry, but I really feel like this should be in the game already. But I can understand why it isn't right now, because that seems like it would take a fair amount of time. I still would appreciate at least a boost in it until it's added, like allowing food traders to sell meat.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and comment  ;D

NoImageAvailable

Regarding 1. I usually set up a corpse pile right next to my crematorium taking only stranger and animal corpses, allow rotten checked and priority set to normal. I set the search range for the burn corpses bill to only include that stockpile. Then I set up a stockpile near my butcher's table with only animal corpses, allow rotten unchecked and priority set to preferred. I do agree on 4. although given the low pop cap on the storytellers Tynan probably didn't intend for players to have that many colonists.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

BetaSpectre

Work needs to be optimized like colonists should do at least.all of the same task in a 4x4 area not one block here and another 200 blocks away.

Farming animals is something that should be made possible, and meat traders its in high demand after all.

I agree with the prisons a prison yard for the day makes sense

More options for the Crematory would be nice...but molotov plus cave makes it a moot problem
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Weyrling

Quote from: BetaSpectre on November 01, 2014, 03:40:32 PM
Work needs to be optimized like colonists should do at least.all of the same task in a 4x4 area not one block here and another 200 blocks away.
This already sort of happens, they prioritize nearby things first, what would be nice if random colonists 200 squares away wouldn't prioritize something next to another colonist already doing the same job which forces said colonist to find something else to do.
I'd really like to see a 'distance to do jobs' setting, similar to how bills work so you can tell a colonist to not do things a mile away. Another useful option would be to set a colonist to only do jobs inside the Home region (Like those Slowpokes who always starve trying to haul junk from halfway across the map).

What would also be really useful is if colonists hauling stuff didn't logic to "fill specific square", and instead went "haul as much as possible".
It's terribly annoying to tell somebody to prioritize hauling metal from the mine and have them grab a SINGLE PIECE of metal to fill a square that had 74 metal in it, which is sort of ridiculous.

Morgrav

To oBerry ,

It's great that you've been able to grow your colony so large.  But I think the "meat" shortage" you are having is beautiful programing.  It represents an ecosystem that can't sustain the large population of meat eaters you've made.  There are sadly many species that don't exist due to our over hunting/fishing.  I love that this mechanic is present in Rimworld.   It makes you ask the cost of expansion/populace, as it should.  It reminds us that what we often take for infinite resources are actually very finite and can be lost without proper management.

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 01, 2014, 03:35:16 PM
Regarding 1. I usually set up a corpse pile right next to my crematorium taking only stranger and animal corpses, allow rotten checked and priority set to normal. I set the search range for the burn corpses bill to only include that stockpile. Then I set up a stockpile near my butcher's table with only animal corpses, allow rotten unchecked and priority set to preferred. I do agree on 4. although given the low pop cap on the storytellers Tynan probably didn't intend for players to have that many colonists.

This is a beautiful set-up.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Ruin

You might try the Synthmeat mod to fix the meat issues.  It is labor intensive but, I think it should be for balance.