A8

Started by Smasher5523, November 02, 2014, 12:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smasher5523

When is alpha 8? its been about a month since A7.

vagineer1

Quote from: Smasher5523 on November 02, 2014, 12:02:30 PM
When is alpha 8? its been about a month since A7.

As far as I know right now Tynan is still building the new Alpha, then it will go through testing before public release.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

userfredle

Just so you know never has an alpha released in a month, i believe only 1 alpha got out before 40 days the rest were 40 + some even are closer to 2 months.

So just keep an eye out on the changelog, usually if you see a bunch of bug fixes daily a new alpha is only a few weeks away :)

Romi

christhekiller

It looks like he's in the middle of a new system for the game so it might be ahile

Cimanyd

For reference:

Here's what Tynan said when this was asked about A7.

Here Tynan said "A8 might be longer coming than any other alpha yet."

I should just start making a list of interesting Tynan posts... keep having to dig them up :P
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Coenmcj

It's like that time stefanstr made a poem of Tynan's past quotes. :P

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5595.msg60969#msg60969
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ItchyFlea

*ItchyFlea opens his Comms Console and connects with the Earth-based Internet
*ItchyFlea connects to Ludeon Forums
*ItchyFlea starts writing a reply to a thread there, titled A8.

Hey guys. It's a little busy out here, especially with the darn psychic drone yelling in my ears... But I wish to try and answer the question raised. I have heard that A8 will be relea..

*ItchyFlea's connection vanishes.
*It is later discovered that a large group of mechanoids had landed in droppods on top of his colony's geothermal generator, cutting power to his entire base, including his defence turrets...

---

In all seriousness, no idea. It looks like Tynan is adding a temperature system to RimWorld, so that will probably take some time to implement. I figure that unlike the health system which took 2 updates to flesh out, the temperature system would need to be almost complete before an update can be released.

One thing is for sure, A8 is going to be awesome. From what I can tell according to the changelog (available here) we'll have to manage the temperature in the buildings in our colony's. Hopefully that means I can make my prisoners sweat, or freeze, until they join my colony, or are sold (with half their organs removed) into slavery. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

noahdaorkyboy

whats going to be in the next update anyways?

Cimanyd

Quote from: noahdaorkyboy on November 02, 2014, 10:56:12 PM
whats going to be in the next update anyways?
In the changelog (link, thread) you can see what Tynan's doing to the game. Right now, everything Sept 25 and later is what is not in A7 but will be part of A8.

So far, we can see there will be an improved armor system, completion of the new different-rocks system, craftable melee weapons made of stuff, wind turbines, and various other interesting and uninteresting things. And, most importantly, a temperature system (which is a whole week of the changelog already).
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

christhekiller

Honestly I might not expect anything until December

Fernbhoy

Mystic

If it takes until December, it will totally be worth it, I am sure. Every time I read another one of these change log entries, I get a little more giddy. I mean, seeing pawns' breath in the right conditions sounds TOO cool for words, and will go a long, long way toward reinforcing the environmental conditions. Brilliant.

ShootyFace

A8 will be great even if we were to only get the temperature system in place. Freezing in the tundra, dieing of heat exhaustion in the desert. Hope Tynan takes his time with this one, A7 has been the most fun I've had with the game, really starting to come together nicely.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Tynan

It'll be the longest time between alphas yet. For several reasons.

-Ison left (back to school) so I'm working alone again.
-I lost a bunch of time trying to figure out stuff with the launcher. I'll lose some more too.
-The tax year ended for Ludeon; tons of paperwork that doesn't appear on the changelog.
-I moved houses. More work and lost time.
-I want to have bigger alphas with more time in between because each release itself takes a ton of work because I have to do an entire multi-week testing and bugfixing cycle every time. As the game has gotten more complex this has taken longer and longer. I can maximize long-term output by reducing the number of actual releases and being able to just work with the game in an unstable state for longer. So this is what I'm doing.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog