[W|Alpha 7] Mortar countdown doesnt reset

Started by togt, November 03, 2014, 01:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

togt

Description
When using mortars the countdown to refire is around 50 seconds?  When you undraft the men on the mortars the countdown timer stays on the same number.

Reproduce
1. Man the mortars with drafted pawns and attack sieging force
2. Let the mortars fire once, and undraft the pawns operating the mortars.

Expected Results
The countdown continues until 0, then sticks there so mortars are 'reset' for next use

Actual Results
The countdown is stuck on the count it was on when the pawns stopped using the mortar

Be gentle, this is my first bug report.  I haven't seen this mentioned yet.

skullywag

The system currently is a while drafted pawn is manning drop the counter. Once counter hits 0, fire. You are stating it should do the same but if the manning colonist is undrafted the counter should reset to max time? Wouldnt be a hard change to make and would stop people "preloading" their mortars.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Devdisigdu

The way I read it, when he says reset he seems to expect the countdown to continue ticking down to 0, even when not manned.

The countdown decreasing only when manned by a colonist is the intended behaviour.

togt

Hi Devdisigdu,
you are correct in you interpretation, but I expect the mortars to be 'as new' when the countdown is over. Details . . . but still.

skullywag

But 0 means ready to fire. So if you want it to reset to "as new" then max wait time is what you want it to go to when unmanned.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Matthiasagreen

Consider the timer as the time necessary to load the mortar. While he is drafted, he will start the process and the time goes down. As soon as you undraft him, he stops loading it and the time stops going down. When he returns, he will still have to finish loading it.

This prevents people not only from preloading for the next siege (although you could essentially do that by undrafting right before the timer hits zero), but also prevents a possible exploit of one person manning a dozen mortars. He would only need to initiate the clock on each one, move on to the nexrt and only return to fire the mortar and restart the clock.

Although I can see why you thought this was a bug, I don't think it is. To be a bug, the system would need to do something different from what it normally does, not different from what you think it should do. If you had an example of it performing as you think it should, and then another situation where it does not, then it would be a bug. My two cents!
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

togt

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on November 05, 2014, 12:32:33 PM
Although I can see why you thought this was a bug, I don't think it is. To be a bug, the system would need to do something different from what it normally does, not different from what you think it should do. If you had an example of it performing as you think it should, and then another situation where it does not, then it would be a bug. My two cents!

Ah I understand, and just noticed that turrets do the same thing.  I was not suggesting that the manning the mortar start the countdown until it shoots by itself. When unmanning it I was suggesting it to reset, not shoot.    Anyway, I agree with you it is not a bug, but just something I personally think is incorrect.