Is Rimworld finished enough for you?

Started by togt, November 04, 2014, 01:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

togt

I am surprised getting this caught in a game. Last time it happened was Minecraft where I spent days and days just seeing what would happen.

I've put in many days of building colonies, and it satisfies me completely to just build, defend what I built and see if I get to the 'on a roll' stage.  I am not sure new items, systems etc are really going to add more fun to the gameplay.

Happy about:
- Exploration/mining for resources
- All Pirate attacks, since they give me loot and possible new colonists
- Seeying animals running around inside because I left the door open.
- Medical/operation system (Love reading the details about my colonists get bitten in the eyeball by a cobra cause you know . . .  it happens all the time.

Turn-offs in the gameplay:
- Mental breakdown, I can't stand the sensitive colonists, just find them annoying
- Water in the way of the steam-geyser, so I can't build the generator ;)
- psychic drone . . .
- Bedrooms for colonists need no effort: just 3 blocks with a door is fine for them, they don't care that much . .. .

So reading from the A8 notes I notice that hot/cold is going to affect everything, There's going to be differentiation in stone types etc .. .  this just seems like micromanagement to me?

Wondering what you guys think.

keylocke

i'm one of those guys who enjoys seeing new features to rimworld that adds to the gameplay. (temperature system being one of them, relationship system, etc..)

looking at rimworld right now, sure you can play it "as is". but why stop there?

i think tynan is breaking new grounds with rimworld and i don't want to be one of the people to drag him down when he's on a winning streak. so just let him play guys. (give him enough space to experiment and just try to be supportive)

also, look a dwarf fortress. i don't see anyone shouting.. "quick! we must stop developing this great game into something greater!!" lol.

----

right now, i keep copies of each new alpha for rimworld. if i were already content with the current gameplay and i don't want anything else to get added, then i'll just stop ugrading my copy and hide inside a cave or whatever. i'm not gonna go run around shouting... "stop all progress!! everyone!! i'm enjoying the game as is!!"

Wex

Quote from: keylocke on November 04, 2014, 02:18:49 AM
right now, i keep copies of each new alpha for rimworld. if i were already content with the current gameplay and i don't want anything else to get added, then i'll just stop ugrading my copy and hide inside a cave or whatever. i'm not gonna go run around shouting... "stop all progress!! everyone!! i'm enjoying the game as is!!"
That's one of the smartest sentences I've ever found on the Internet. Keep it up! :D
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

windruf

Quote from: togt on November 04, 2014, 01:58:24 AM
- Water in the way of the steam-geyser, so I can't build the generator ;)

use fertilizer pump it will turn water into soil  ;)

and what i hate the most is
-when my colonists go to other side of map to get 5 potatoes instead of a whole stack.

stefanstr

I have already put about 100 hours into Rimworld and even if development ceased today, I would have gotten my money's worth.

That said, I don't think Rimworld is complete. It needs more variety when it comes to challenges. Right now, it is a tower defense game to a large extent. Diseases and upcoming temperature changes are exactly the direction I want the game to move in. That, and more varied goals for raiders (e.g., they should try to destroy your power supplies or steal your food, not charge blindly).

Numar

[1] Rimworld is finished when Tynan says so.

[2] ...buuuuut as you asked for our opinions, here's mine: no, it isn't. I have to admit I'm already enjoying this game more than other "finished" games and should already have several hundreds hours of gameplay with it. There's still a lot of things you can add content-wise which would make sense regarding a survival space colony sim game, but the biggest problem so far is the UI and user-friendliness.

Headshotkill

Rimworld at it's current stage is very enjoyable for me, a single game starting and making a ship is long enough and always poses new challenges. For me this game was infinitly fun months ago and it's even more so now... and will only get better in the future.

Tertnes

Quote from: togt on November 04, 2014, 01:58:24 AM
- Mental breakdown, I can't stand the sensitive colonists, just find them annoying
- Bedrooms for colonists need no effort: just 3 blocks with a door is fine for them, they don't care that much . .. .

Colonists do care about the size and quality of their rooms. Build better rooms and they'll have less breakdowns. ;)

Mystic

Is RimWorld finished enough for me?  Well, no, at least because there is still a significant Mac bug (inability to play in full screen) that needs to be addressed (apparently with a newer build of Unity).

Beyond that, I think there is still more that can be done to increase the variety of colony designs and playing styles.  The temperature system that is now on the way will, I suspect, be a very nice addition in that area.  (I wonder if the storyteller AI can be made to have some stories be weather-centric ... e.g., surviving an extreme cold snap with all the effects that entails, e.g., a "year without a summer" due to volcanic ash in the upper atmosphere, etc.?)  Additional things that can help make colonies "in the open" be a reasonable alternative to burrowing into a hillside would also be very much welcome.  As good as the game is in its current state, sometimes there still seems to be "one right way" to play - more variety in settings and story would only improve the game.

Halinder

It's not finished until we get a colony vs. mechanoid vs. pirates vs. tribals vs. genetically enhanced sectoid mech-fighter StarCraft-styled gameplay.

(I'm kidding, but that would be awesome.)

togt

Thanks for your thoughts. Please don't interpret my words to mean anything like: stop developing.  All I am trying to say is: I am satisfied with what we have already. 

And of course I keep A7 around in case A8 is less to my taste, but I don't think we will be disapointed.

While reading the message of A8 taking longer to complete, was I the only one thinking: I wouldn't mind helping Tynan move, so he can focus on the code some more ?  :P

ShootyFace

It's ridiculous how many hours of fun I've had out of this alpha. Every single stage of development has been fun and exciting to watch and play. And it keeps getting better. I personally would love to see Tynan keep working on this game indefinitely, he certainly knows what he wants to do, and seems to enjoy finding ways to both make our colonists' lives easier and at times a total, brutal living hell. Glorious stuff, been my most played and favorite game for a long while now.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Mystic

Quote from: Mystic on November 04, 2014, 05:38:32 PM
I wonder if the storyteller AI can be made to have some stories be weather-centric ... e.g., surviving an extreme cold snap with all the effects that entails, e.g., a "year without a summer" due to volcanic ash in the upper atmosphere, etc.?)

I just noted in yesterday's change log: "Added heat wave and cold snap incidents."  Cool!  I managed to read Tynan's mind on something.   ;)

Tynan

Quote from: Mystic on November 07, 2014, 10:28:31 AM
I just noted in yesterday's change log: "Added heat wave and cold snap incidents."  Cool!  I managed to read Tynan's mind on something.   ;)

Indeed, though that 'year without a summer' idea is even more brutal and kind of interesting. I'm just not sure it's totally fair. A whole game is usually like 2-3 years at most, so missing a while summer would mean playing half the game with a big disadvantage.

Still! Could be kind of fascinating. Like having the local biome change over time. Imagine watching the jungle trees die off as its gets colder, new kinds of animals and plants arriving, and so on.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Mystic

Quote from: Tynan on November 08, 2014, 01:53:08 AM
Quote from: Mystic on November 07, 2014, 10:28:31 AM

Indeed, though that 'year without a summer' idea is even more brutal and kind of interesting. I'm just not sure it's totally fair. A whole game is usually like 2-3 years at most, so missing a while summer would mean playing half the game with a big disadvantage.

Still! Could be kind of fascinating. Like having the local biome change over time. Imagine watching the jungle trees die off as its gets colder, new kinds of animals and plants arriving, and so on.

Cool!  Or Hot, depending upon your point of view. :)

As far as the "year without a summer" idea, I thought that might be workable since I figured the RimWorld's seasons would very likely be shortened for gameplay purposes (maybe a year being somewhere around 4 to 6 months instead, for example).  Which would make sense, since other planets aren't going to exactly match the Earth's orbital period, but the Earth calendar might still be in use nonetheless just for convenience.