[Mod Request] Toggleable Wall Panel / Dwarf Fortress Drawbridge

Started by Riph, November 06, 2014, 08:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrofa

All i do is clutter all around.

skullywag

Bah it was all going so well, regions are recalculated randomly throughout the game this breaks my way quite considerably as it technically resets my wall back to normal (but the gui button remains active)....there must be a way to not let my object update unless button is pressed...grrr...
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

mipen

Hey guys, I have made a toggleable wall in my mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7380.0 How I got it to work well is to have the toggle button switch between two buildings: one which is a wall, and another which is a floor emplacement. The health is passed through the constructor so they have the same health. They require power to operate, and I will probably add a time limit between switching, however the time it takes to reconnect to the power when it switches is a few seconds which is reasonable enough. They are made from stuff so you can build them from anything as well. If I got permission from the guys who did the embrasures mod, I could also add a button which changes the wall into an embrasure. Let me know what you think! :D

skullywag

Yeah weve got building switching via changing objects sorted we are currently trying to do it all in one object. I have it working except some region madness.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Riph

Looks good Mipen.  Can you tell us if you've tested if this wall will cause cave-ins if a long line of them are toggled at the same time (because for a brief instant they're in a nothing-state?)  That concern was raised earlier in the thread.

It's not a huge issue if it does, I'd just like to know.  It would be understandable if our amazing toggleable walls were not load bearing.

mipen

Quote from: Riph on November 10, 2014, 04:57:52 AM
Looks good Mipen.  Can you tell us if you've tested if this wall will cause cave-ins if a long line of them are toggled at the same time (because for a brief instant they're in a nothing-state?)  That concern was raised earlier in the thread.

It's not a huge issue if it does, I'd just like to know.  It would be understandable if our amazing toggleable walls were not load bearing.
I have set both states to not support a roof, so either way it will cause a cave in :P it was just easier to do it this way, and I guess you could make up some lore of how to mechanisms to raise/lower the walls aren't strong enough to also support a roof :P

mrofa

mipen

Quote from: mrofa on November 10, 2014, 04:20:05 PM
What do you mean load bearing ?
To be able to support a weight other than its own, in this case a roof :)

mrofa

Ahh than
Quote from: mipen on November 10, 2014, 06:50:22 PM
Quote from: mrofa on November 10, 2014, 04:20:05 PM
What do you mean load bearing ?
To be able to support a weight other than its own, in this case a roof :)
Ahh thanks :D

Make a check after pressing a button if any wall that is linked to selected wall is in sandbag state, selected wall wil not change.