[MOD] (Alpha 7) Neolithic Mod (v.0.96b)

Started by ItchyFlea, November 07, 2014, 12:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToXeye

I have a suggestion.

Wolf artwork, very simple.

They attack in packs, but mostly wild animals, not humans (because humans are scary!)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ToXeye

Add to the how to play that you have to spawn in a Temperate Forest, otherwise there will be no deer antlers to get copper with.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ToXeye

I made a pit artwork for you. It can be used for the copper smelting pit. Just resize it to fit. It should be 1x1 or 2x2 but it's up to you then.

Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

DracoGriffin

Quote from: Canute on November 08, 2014, 09:52:52 AM
Spear vs Sword.
Basicly you are right.
But from the gameplay sight, you need to refect that a sword is much difficult to craft then a spear, and this point should be reflect at the sword stats.  Or there wouldn't be a reason to produce and use sword.

"Plants take about 20 days to mature. "
But do any plant can survive these 20 days with the random blight events ?

Just as there are copper/bronze hand axes/pickaxes, why not have spears with metallic shafts or such that would be indicative of this sword vs spear debate (I would imagine a spear with a wooden shaft may not last too long against a sword when parrying or deflecting as it could be cleft in half).

Not to get into the whole macuahuitl debate since I don't think obsidian is available in this mod or vanilla RimWorld. :P

And I believe plants survive the blight as they are not grown in a growing zone; so they should be immune like the wild plants are. (I haven't seen a blight event yet)

edit: Suggestions below:
I believe Armour making table should have build requirements changed to Bronze/Deerhide like Iron tool making table to fit the production of goods from the building (Armour making table makes chainmail/platemail).

Perhaps bifurcating the Neolithic weapon making table into two: Mousterian weapon table & Blacksmith/Metallurgist forge as the first two weapons make basic armaments that require easy supplies (Spear/club) and the others require a form of ingots (Copper, bronze, iron, steel).

Also, can modding allow growing zones to be granted when researched? A research topic like horticulture would be great to simulate early farming practices.

Current Mods (A-Z):
AnimuHair, EdBInterface, Extended Stoneworking, FastFloors, Immersive Pack, kilroy Turret Pack, Modular Tables, MoreHair, MoreHydroponics, PowerSwitch, RecipeNurse, skullywag Pack, SurgeryExtendedAndBionics, Synthmeat, T-Mod Pack

ItchyFlea

Quote from: ToXeye on November 08, 2014, 12:44:20 PM
Add to the how to play that you have to spawn in a Temperate Forest, otherwise there will be no deer antlers to get copper with.
I've made deer spawn in all biomes with the same frequency.

Quote from: ToXeye on November 08, 2014, 01:07:50 PM
I made a pit artwork for you. It can be used for the copper smelting pit. Just resize it to fit. It should be 1x1 or 2x2 but it's up to you then.
Thankyou. That'll be in the next version of the mod.

Quote from: DracoGriffin on November 08, 2014, 01:22:34 PM
- I believe Armour making table should have build requirements changed to Bronze/Deerhide like Iron tool making table to fit the production of goods from the building (Armour making table makes chainmail/platemail).

- Perhaps bifurcating the Neolithic weapon making table into two: Mousterian weapon table & Blacksmith/Metallurgist forge as the first two weapons make basic armaments that require easy supplies (Spear/club) and the others require a form of ingots (Copper, bronze, iron, steel).

- Also, can modding allow growing zones to be granted when researched? A research topic like horticulture would be great to simulate early farming practices.
- This makes sense.
- This makes sense as well.
- Yes, but growing zones don't require seeds for food to be planted, which is why they were axed.

Quote from: Canute on November 08, 2014, 09:52:52 AM
"Plants take about 20 days to mature. "
But do any plant can survive these 20 days with the random blight events ?
They should do, as the blight event targets growing zones/hydroponics and plants aren't grown in either of those. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

ToXeye

There's no point to chopping trees with a dead beaver. You could try to make a beaver tooth pickaxe, which is super effective against tree men.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

ItchyFlea

Mod has been updated.

Changes/Additions:
- Armour making table now requires bronze to make.
- Split weapon table. Swords now require a different table to make,
- Removed spear crafting recipe. Replaced it with the handful of stones ranged weapon.
- Added ToXeye's pit texture.
- A secret change. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

DracoGriffin

Would ranged javelins be possible for early hunting since throwing rocks and bow & arrows are not implemented yet? See Paleolithic spears, here, here and here.

Although could expand productions by having butchered animal corpses produce sinew which could be used as string for bows. Sinew could also be used as raw material for a number of other products too, eventually. Early tailoring, food, crafting tools (used as "rope" to tie products together; flint and wood handle for instance).
Current Mods (A-Z):
AnimuHair, EdBInterface, Extended Stoneworking, FastFloors, Immersive Pack, kilroy Turret Pack, Modular Tables, MoreHair, MoreHydroponics, PowerSwitch, RecipeNurse, skullywag Pack, SurgeryExtendedAndBionics, Synthmeat, T-Mod Pack

DracoGriffin

Didn't notice the secret change but the handful of rocks is helpful now instead of having colonists injured every time they hunt.

Just finished a game: psychic wave of squirrels, and luckily survived due to a friendly group of outlanders near colony helped as bodyshields (their pistols were helpful too). Then I got raided by a ton of pirates with M-16s, Uzis, Pistols, grenades; didn't even stand a chance. However, one of my colonists somehow escaped a pirate that had kidnapped him and got away safely. Only problem was he had bleeding issues and contracted malaria so he wasn't going to live very long.

Well, shortly after a spaceship crashed and started the psychic droning. So I figured to see some mechanoids, sent my heroic colonist to attack the ship and he promptly was shredded by a scyther.

Next game I am just going to do builder mode instead of Cassandra/Randy 100%. :P

Current Mods (A-Z):

DracoGriffin

Quote from: Canute on November 08, 2014, 04:57:37 PM
Camp fire:
Can you add the cooking skill with skill need of 0 to the recipes !
At moment the campfire don't got any priority and you allwas need to assign a colonist to work there.

I had no issues with colonists working automatically at the campfire. Are you sure cooking was set to a high enough priority? Game I just finished had colonist cooking meals at campfire without having to be assigned.
Current Mods (A-Z):

Igabod

I would imagine a spear with a wooden shaft may not last too long against a sword when parrying or deflecting as it could be cleft in half.

Just because I like to share my knowledge with people I'd like to correct you on this.

A proper hardwood spear shaft that is heat treated properly is almost as hard as iron. In fact, the most commonly used wood for spear shafts in medieval times was called ironwood precisely because of the fact that it was so strong.

Sure there would inevitably be nicks and gouges in the wood after each battle, which could easily be removed with a quick sanding against a grind stone much like a sword, but the idea of completely cleaving a spear in twain is purely hollywood.

Using the typical one handed sword of the day and the strongest man in the world (winner of Mr. Universe or Mr. Olympia competition, I can't remember which) against properly crafted ironwood, it was proved in an experiment a couple decades ago that you cannot chop it in half like you see in movies.

And just think, if they were really that easy to chop in half, armies would have stopped using wood when stronger materials were discovered. It was used so commonly because of the fact that it was cheap and highly effective, the same reason any army uses any weapon in large numbers.

Pro Tip: Don't use soft wood like pine for your spears.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Canute on November 08, 2014, 04:57:37 PM
Camp fire:
Can you add the cooking skill with skill need of 0 to the recipes !
At moment the campfire don't got any priority and you allwas need to assign a colonist to work there.

Idea to the advancement:
Can you made different research table with different researches ?
When yes, create for each age a research table with the researches for these age.
I literally slapped my forehead when I figured out why cooks didn't use the campfire. :o
From what I understand of research, I can't have different research benches for different tiers of research.

ItchyFlea

New version up.

This fixes the campfire so it works with the cooking skill and not the crafting skill.
This also adds several new textures made by Shinzy.

My favourite is the neolithic butcher table. It looks just how I had imagined it. :)

Shinzy

Quote from: ItchyFlea on November 08, 2014, 07:50:41 PM
New version up.

This fixes the campfire so it works with the cooking skill and not the crafting skill.
This also adds several new textures made by Shinzy.

My favourite is the neolithic butcher table. It looks just how I had imagined it. :)

Wee! the butcher table is the only one with any real detail on it though! (I'm still rooting for the seed packet =P it has a little sunflower logo on it and everything)

DracoGriffin

Quote from: Igabod on November 08, 2014, 07:23:03 PM
I would imagine a spear with a wooden shaft may not last too long against a sword when parrying or deflecting as it could be cleft in half.

Just because I like to share my knowledge with people I'd like to correct you on this.

A proper hardwood spear shaft that is heat treated properly is almost as hard as iron. In fact, the most commonly used wood for spear shafts in medieval times was called ironwood precisely because of the fact that it was so strong.

Sure there would inevitably be nicks and gouges in the wood after each battle, which could easily be removed with a quick sanding against a grind stone much like a sword, but the idea of completely cleaving a spear in twain is purely hollywood.

Using the typical one handed sword of the day and the strongest man in the world (winner of Mr. Universe or Mr. Olympia competition, I can't remember which) against properly crafted ironwood, it was proved in an experiment a couple decades ago that you cannot chop it in half like you see in movies.

And just think, if they were really that easy to chop in half, armies would have stopped using wood when stronger materials were discovered. It was used so commonly because of the fact that it was cheap and highly effective, the same reason any army uses any weapon in large numbers.

Pro Tip: Don't use soft wood like pine for your spears.

I don't think ItchyFlea is going to be able to mod that much in-depth though. :P That was kinda what I was getting at; balance between gameplay/realism.
Current Mods (A-Z):