[MOD] (Alpha 7) Neolithic Mod (v.0.96b)

Started by ItchyFlea, November 07, 2014, 12:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Canute on November 09, 2014, 02:54:35 AM
Bugs:
-Handful of stone, when any colonist drop these at any reason they are gone. You can't store them on a weapon rack.
- Venison, the meat from deer's arn't listed at the meat section. And i allways was wondering why these damn butcher didn't store that at the stockpile next to the fire.

What do you think about to add some lowtech defence systems ? Like traphole's/caltrops from the  TechTreeMinami or Wood spikes.
This would improve the gameplay since it takes time until you realy can build some stronger structures.
Thanks for the bug reports.
The first one is an easy fix. I had forgotten that stones were set to vanish when placed on the ground.
As for the venison, I can't reproduce it. Venison is there for me. There isn't anything I could do about it anyway, as the game generates meat definitions when they are needed.

I'm planning to add medieval siege weapons to the game. Ballista, based on info from this video
That will make an appearance in the next day or so.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

millenium

i like thebidea of this mod and will be doing a playthrough soon.

on the note of ballistae there are many sizes. laryer ones could be like more accurate mortars and then smaller ones could be used for siect fire mounting . the thing is is people underestimate an arrow due to its increased size and weight an arrow can easily pierce standard kevlar and thinner ceramic plates and the smaller ballistae shoot bolts both larger and faster than the standard hunting arrow. tue biggest issue is mostly one of range since no weapon in this game fires as far as the real life equivelent.  taking something like the mounted m2 from another mod upping the damage and making it shoot only 1 bolt would be a good defense.

StealthHunterX

One thing that would really help if all the enemies were tribal people. When Raids come in and they have guns, If I do survive using a pistol Wouldn't be fun for being neolithic

Halinder

If you can lure pistol-wielding enemies close enough with melee weapons, their death is almost guaranteed. Using pistols in response to pistols in your own base leaves you at a slight disadvantage, at least if you have close-quarter buildings.

ItchyFlea

When I get home a new build will be made available which does the following:

Fixes:
Handful of stones show on the ground when dropped
Neolithic Butcher table uses cooking skill.

Additions:
Ballista - Min Range 15, Max Range 150, Direct Hit = 50 damage. No damage radius. Inaccurate.
Trebuchet - Min Range 15, Max Range 150, Direct Hit = 250 damage. No damage radius. Extremely inaccurate.

Both fire instantly (as if they were always ready to fire) and take 15 seconds to get ready to fire again.
Unfortunately the game doesn't render a maximum distance outline (like it does with the minimum), but it does tell you when a selected target is out of range.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

TheXIIILightning

Can't wait for the new update!
I had no idea that this mod had already progressed so much. I'll definitely look into it tomorrow and give you some feedback once I'm bored with my first colony. ^^

Good luck!

ItchyFlea

The new build is up.

I didn't have time to make placeholder graphics, so for the meantime the mortar weapons are using standard mortar graphics.
They don't require research so they can be built from the start. Sortof. They require 250 wood and 25 bronze. I at least changed the sound effects they use, so there's that. :)

Igabod

Quote from: Canute on November 09, 2014, 02:54:35 AM
Yes Igabod is right with his history of ironwood and spears, but he forget to tell that ironwood isn't very common and not available at any culture/biome.
This made spears with ironwood very expensive and only wealthy fighter used them. Spears for the army are made from some cheap regional wood/bamboo.

What are you talking about? it was and is still highly common all over the world. There are many different species of tree known as Ironwood in all sorts of biomes. The fact that ironwood is not currently very common in England in particular is due mostly to the frequent use of them for spears and other weapons as well as tools. Wealthy fighters never used spears. The wealthy fighters were usually knights who had a short sword at a minimum. Spears were used by the commoners. In later years they were mass produced for the king or nobleman's army and passed out to the soldiers before battle so that they could be counted on to not break in battle. There are some accounts of bamboo spears being used in the past, but when that is heat treated it also becomes just as hard as iron and has the same qualities that an Ironwood spear would exhibit with the added benefit of being far lighter in weight. Though that does reduce the amount of force you are capable of generating.

In short, Ironwood wasn't some rare thing that only the rich could acquire. It was extremely common in Medieval Europe and England and was used for everything which required strong resilient wood. It was eventually over-harvested in England and is now less common there than in the past but you can still find it there in small pockets.

millenium

some sort of healing item would be greatly appreciated. also i have started a few colonies where i had to wait a couple days for deer to show up to start mining. is it possible to make a menu to change the hide type to another animal?

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Canute on November 10, 2014, 06:42:21 AM
Edit: Another idea/suggestion.
Since it take VERY long until you can trade for medicine. There should be a way to create new medicine.
Already planned.

Quote from: millenium on November 10, 2014, 12:37:47 PM
is it possible to make a menu to change the hide type to another animal?
Not possible in A7. This might be possible in A8. (Sept 25 changelog entry)

millenium

then is it possible for the "butcher deer" task to be able to use any animal. thereby you get generic horn and hide item which can be cured into usable leather. the leather could then be used in place of deer hide this would expand your options depending upon what is native in your biome.

StealthHunterX

Hello I am new to Rimworld but have had multiple successful colonies. I really like the idea of this mod and hope you pursue it  ;D. One tweak I ask you to make is can you make it so that raiders are all tribal people? or at least only have tribal weapons? I'm having fun climbing up the tech tree and a gun ruins my process because I would like to play a game with only neolithic weapons but im forced to use guns to stand a fighting chance early in the game :'(. Thank you for considering this.

Halinder

To those who want to only have tribal enemies, you can always go into dev mode and force pirate factions to be neutral. Visitor groups tend to be smaller and you'll only get mechanoid/tribal raids.

And I still say tight corridors with 5 melee colonists can wipe out however many pirates there are.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: millenium on November 10, 2014, 09:36:09 PM
then is it possible for the "butcher deer" task to be able to use any animal. thereby you get generic horn and hide item which can be cured into usable leather. the leather could then be used in place of deer hide this would expand your options depending upon what is native in your biome.
Possibly, but I probably won't go this route.
Deer antlers were used as pickaxes in ancient times and I'd like to stick with just those. Having a raw hide that needs to be cured into leather is an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote from: StealthHunterX on November 10, 2014, 10:01:17 PM
Hello I am new to Rimworld but have had multiple successful colonies. I really like the idea of this mod and hope you pursue it  ;D. One tweak I ask you to make is can you make it so that raiders are all tribal people? or at least only have tribal weapons? I'm having fun climbing up the tech tree and a gun ruins my process because I would like to play a game with only neolithic weapons but im forced to use guns to stand a fighting chance early in the game :'(. Thank you for considering this.
Sorry but no.

ToXeye

Still, if you get one gun from a pirate, you can then recruit some tribals from their attacks and make neolithic weapons for them if you get many tribals and only a few pirates. And if you get many pirates then you are outgunned, so it's a balance issue (too).
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\