[MOD](A9d) Xtra Plants v5.3 Pie Recipe Hotfix Mar. 20, 2015

Started by Igabod, November 07, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see this mod available in standalone parts? As in one mod for trees and one mod for wild plants/flowers and one for wine production.

Yes (The mod would still be available in it's complete form as well.)
28 (51.9%)
No, I like everything included in this mod. I see no reason to split it up.
26 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Loki88

The bamboo texture seemed kinda busy and distracting so I came up with this, if you like it feel free to use it, if not (or I did it wrong) let me know!

Ps: I can't figure out how to use the insert image tool to make the screen shot bigger than a thumbnail :( insight into this is appreciated

[attachment deleted due to age]

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on December 22, 2014, 08:27:57 PM
The bamboo texture seemed kinda busy and distracting so I came up with this, if you like it feel free to use it, if not (or I did it wrong) let me know!

Ps: I can't figure out how to use the insert image tool to make the screen shot bigger than a thumbnail :( insight into this is appreciated

First, how to insert images. You need to upload the image to a server such as imgur.com or something. Then once that is done you put the url of that picture inside the [ img] tags (without a space between the first bracket and the word of course) So an example would look like this [ img]www.imageservername.com/image.jpg[/ img] I personally use imgur because once you upload the image they put a box to the right that gives you various ways to display the picture such as the html code as well as the bbc code (the one needed for forums) so you don't have to do anything but copy/paste that in and don't even need to worry about typing the [ img] tags out.

As for the bamboo, it looks good so far. I'll test it out in a game and see how it looks before I decide whether or not to use it though. But if I do then I'll put it in v4.0 and add a credit to you on there. Thanks for taking the time to do that and sharing it. :)

Loki88

Quote from: Igabod on December 23, 2014, 02:07:59 AM
Quote from: Loki88 on December 22, 2014, 08:27:57 PM

First, how to insert images. You need to upload the image to a server such as imgur.com or something. Then once that is done you put the url of that picture inside the [ img] tags (without a space between the first bracket and the word of course) So an example would look like this [ img]www.imageservername.com/image.jpg[/ img] I personally use imgur because once you upload the image they put a box to the right that gives you various ways to display the picture such as the html code as well as the bbc code (the one needed for forums) so you don't have to do anything but copy/paste that in and don't even need to worry about typing the [ img] tags out.

As for the bamboo, it looks good so far. I'll test it out in a game and see how it looks before I decide whether or not to use it though. But if I do then I'll put it in v4.0 and add a credit to you on there. Thanks for taking the time to do that and sharing it. :)

Thank you for the advice. And any constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated on my texturing ability (I want to be helpful, not a pain in the rear end)

Loki88

Not asking for it to get made, but on a scale of 1-10 how hard would something like an oil press be to code? In goes the sunflower seeds, etc, out comes vegetable oil (vegy oil to be generic if more feed stock becomes available)

Would it require a DLL to be made like the wine making I can't wait for?!

Igabod

it would be easy. I'd just copy the wine press object and put a recipe that requires sunflower seeds and produces sunflower seed oil on it. I don't see any reason for sunflower oil at the moment though.

Loki88

Quote from: Igabod on December 24, 2014, 01:20:15 AM
it would be easy. I'd just copy the wine press object and put a recipe that requires sunflower seeds and produces sunflower seed oil on it. I don't see any reason for sunflower oil at the moment though.

My brain goes in odd directions, I was trying to think of the easiest way to get a liquid fuel into the game that falls under the renewable energy umbrella. Having an oil press to extract vegetable oil from various plants seemed to fit the bill. And you happen to have some pretty nice sunflowers in this mod which would be a great start for oil producing plants :p

As for a reason it would open the door to a whole bunch of stuff, oil lamp, oil heater, oil furnace/ boiler, oil generator. All while still technically being "food". Balancing would dictate quite a heavy loss during production, say a 60% loss by volume.

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on December 24, 2014, 07:28:35 AM

My brain goes in odd directions, I was trying to think of the easiest way to get a liquid fuel into the game that falls under the renewable energy umbrella. Having an oil press to extract vegetable oil from various plants seemed to fit the bill. And you happen to have some pretty nice sunflowers in this mod which would be a great start for oil producing plants :p

As for a reason it would open the door to a whole bunch of stuff, oil lamp, oil heater, oil furnace/ boiler, oil generator. All while still technically being "food". Balancing would dictate quite a heavy loss during production, say a 60% loss by volume.

Unfortunately alternate sources of power such as wood and oil require a .dll to make them work. But if someone has the skill to do such a thing then I'd be completely fine with it if they wanted to include my sunflowers in their mod (so long as they let me know and include a link back to this thread on their mod thread of course). I've been thinking about adding an Olive tree since I made the first trees that produce food instead of wood. Never got around to making it yet though. That would be an even better source of oil than sunflower seeds. I might get around to making an olive tree soon, but first I've got to figure out what is causing This bug in the next version. After I get that working I'll consider adding even more trees.

[edit to add] I just thought of another use for olive oil and sunflower seed oil. They could be used as required ingredients in an even better quality meal than lavish. Gourmet Meal or something like that.

Loki88

Quote from: Igabod on December 24, 2014, 08:20:58 AM
Quote from: Loki88 on December 24, 2014, 07:28:35 AM

Unfortunately alternate sources of power such as wood and oil require a .dll to make them work. But if someone has the skill to do such a thing then I'd be completely fine with it if they wanted to include my sunflowers in their mod (so long as they let me know and include a link back to this thread on their mod thread of course). I've been thinking about adding an Olive tree since I made the first trees that produce food instead of wood. Never got around to making it yet though. That would be an even better source of oil than sunflower seeds. I might get around to making an olive tree soon, but first I've got to figure out what is causing This bug in the next version. After I get that working I'll consider adding even more trees.

[edit to add] I just thought of another use for olive oil and sunflower seed oil. They could be used as required ingredients in an even better quality meal than lavish. Gourmet Meal or something like that.

Yet another Door opened for possibilities! I hope your plant mod becomes huge :p It's my favourite mod thus far

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on December 24, 2014, 10:30:04 AM
Yet another Door opened for possibilities! I hope your plant mod becomes huge :p It's my favourite mod thus far

I'm planning on continuing to add new plant related things to this mod for quite a long time to come. So have no fear, this mod will continue to grow. Unfortunately, for some reason it is my least popular mod so far judging by download count. Even my fast floors mod has more downloads than this one and it was something that only took about 5 minutes to make. Oh well, it's my favorite mod of mine too so I would continue working on it even if nobody liked it.

Loki88

Quote from: Igabod on December 24, 2014, 10:46:15 AM

I'm planning on continuing to add new plant related things to this mod for quite a long time to come. So have no fear, this mod will continue to grow. Unfortunately, for some reason it is my least popular mod so far judging by download count. Even my fast floors mod has more downloads than this one and it was something that only took about 5 minutes to make. Oh well, it's my favorite mod of mine too so I would continue working on it even if nobody liked it.

Awesome! I can't seem to figure out what that bug you're having is coming from so for now I shall be relegated to texture work. If you've got a texture you want made for this in the future and mine are good enough let me know. Less work for you, more plants for me, sounds win-win.

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on December 24, 2014, 11:35:11 AM

Awesome! I can't seem to figure out what that bug you're having is coming from so for now I shall be relegated to texture work. If you've got a texture you want made for this in the future and mine are good enough let me know. Less work for you, more plants for me, sounds win-win.

I forgot to tell you that I have decided to use your texture for the bamboo in the next version (as soon as it works that is). As far as trees go, I'm enjoying making those textures a lot so it's not really work in my mind. But I'm always willing to take more versions of the trees I already have so that there is even more variety. If there is one in particular you would like to make an additional version of (to be added to the ones already there) then I'll send you a copy of the xcf file so you can use that as a base to work from. On most of the trees I made the trunk as a separate layer from the foliage so that I could just reuse the trunk and focus on varying up the foliage for the different versions. I still haven't gotten around to making multiple versions of some of the trees yet, but I aim to have a minimum of 5 versions of each tree eventually.

Loki88

Quote from: Igabod on December 24, 2014, 11:58:14 AM

I forgot to tell you that I have decided to use your texture for the bamboo in the next version (as soon as it works that is). As far as trees go, I'm enjoying making those textures a lot so it's not really work in my mind. But I'm always willing to take more versions of the trees I already have so that there is even more variety. If there is one in particular you would like to make an additional version of (to be added to the ones already there) then I'll send you a copy of the xcf file so you can use that as a base to work from. On most of the trees I made the trunk as a separate layer from the foliage so that I could just reuse the trunk and focus on varying up the foliage for the different versions. I still haven't gotten around to making multiple versions of some of the trees yet, but I aim to have a minimum of 5 versions of each tree eventually.

Here's a more flowery looking sunflower if you like it (It looks a whole lot better in game when it's not on the slate grey background of the forum). It's just basically a bigger flower head with blended petals on your original stalk. (I don't really need credit for that since it was yours to begin with.) My interest is going to lean on the plant side of this mod instead of the trees anyway :p And awesome! Glad you liked the bamboo texture.

How crazy do you want to get with this mod?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Igabod

Quote from: Loki88 on December 25, 2014, 01:24:49 AM
Quote from: Igabod on December 24, 2014, 11:58:14 AM
Here's a more flowery looking sunflower if you like it (It looks a whole lot better in game when it's not on the slate grey background of the forum). It's just basically a bigger flower head with blended petals on your original stalk. (I don't really need credit for that since it was yours to begin with.) My interest is going to lean on the plant side of this mod instead of the trees anyway :p And awesome! Glad you liked the bamboo texture.

How crazy do you want to get with this mod?

I'll take a look at it in game later. It looks good so far though, so it'll probably be added in as an additional texture. As for how crazy I want to get, depends on what you mean by crazy. I'm not looking to go outside the realm of real life possibilities.

Match

Hey Iga, thanks for the mod! Would it be possible to include a fast floors version? I know it wouldn't be much work for me to go alter the .xml but I imagine that some other people are uncomfortable editing themselves.

Igabod

Quote from: Match on December 25, 2014, 03:41:18 AM
Hey Iga, thanks for the mod! Would it be possible to include a fast floors version? I know it wouldn't be much work for me to go alter the .xml but I imagine that some other people are uncomfortable editing themselves.

I already made a Fast Floors mod... are you saying you want it combined with this mod? That's not going to happen. This mod is only for plants and plant related things. The Fast Floors mod works perfectly fine when it is activated at the same time as this one so I don't really see any point to your request. Unless I misunderstood you or something. But just in case you didn't know, Here is the Fast Floors mod