Trying to get an idea: Where did you come from as a player?

Started by Ramsis, November 08, 2014, 05:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Everyone reading this post should vote!) How did you make it to the RimWorld community?

I was brought in through interest in the initial Kickstarter page.
10 (16.9%)
I'm a Reddit user who stumbled on RimWorld through another Subreddit. (/r/IndieGaming, /r/ShouldIBuy, /r/BaseBuildingGames, etc)
3 (5.1%)
I'm an old Dwarf Fortress player who wanted to see what else was out there.
10 (16.9%)
A friend told me about the game.
4 (6.8%)
I saw an article for the game and decided to look into it!
7 (11.9%)
Honestly I don't remember anymore!
4 (6.8%)
I'm a colony game lover and picked RimWorld up almost immediately after finding out it existed.
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Endoric

i found it while looking at the prison architect steam forum.  Someone mentioned it there, the look is basically the same, and this is much more my style.  PA is fun... but this is more fun.

a89a89

Quote from: Shinzy on November 08, 2014, 06:01:19 AM
Tynan? humanity? what?

;D The dev and the community is just the grapest it's big reason why I float around the forums

but the game I actually saw from youtube and saw instantly that this is just my type of game (I really love games where you get to manage/build something that feels 'alive' DK2 probably the best example =P)

And you're missing that option from your poll there! *poke*
and just how easily moddable the game is!

I'm not straight up into modding as much as making something of my own =P
I used to do lots and lots of campaigns/maps/stuff&things for WCIII, HoMM4 (I know lot of people don't like that as a game but it had hands down the best editor =P) NWN (God bless Lilac Soul's script gen)

and it's still really addictive to play (rimworld that is, duh!)
it's really the combat aspect of it. It's made really well (although in very simple way) That's one thing that DK was lacking in =P (though I can't say it wasn't fun to swarm in the enemy dungeon while controlling some of the higher level units with wider skill range Oooo!)

Edit: Skully you just haven't located my pawnkind and faction defs yet!
dk2?

Tynan

Awesome idea for a poll, but maybe we need to try it again with different answers? Some of them can be true at the same time (e.g. the last answer can apply together with any other), and there are some (e.g. 'I saw a YouTube video') which are conspicuously missing.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Matthiasagreen

So first I played Diablo 3
Then I wanted to see other players gamestyle, so I watched youtube videos.
Then I discovered people playing Diablo 3 live on something called Twitch.
Then I discovered a major Twitch player that I really enjoyed and watched just him.
Then he played Rimworld. I was super intruiged so I looked forward to him playing it more.
Then I looked up other people who played rimworld.
Then I watched youtube videos of it.
Then I talked my wife into to letting me buy it.
Now, I do nothing in my life except find the balance of playing it as much as possible, while making sure my wife doesn't divorce me for negligence.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

BassMonroe

I was looking on the internet for sandbox/open world survival games and came across rimworld on a post. I then checked out a couple of videos on youtube and thought "Hang on this is kinda like prison architect but in space". I then bought the game realised its not prison architect but something better.

Ramsis

Quote from: Tynan on November 10, 2014, 01:07:25 AM
Awesome idea for a poll, but maybe we need to try it again with different answers? Some of them can be true at the same time (e.g. the last answer can apply together with any other), and there are some (e.g. 'I saw a YouTube video') which are conspicuously missing.

Hmm... it almost sounds like the DEVELOPER should make a STICKY POST POLL so we can get more ANSWERS that are HELPFUL!

:3
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Thorin

Quote from: Tynan on November 10, 2014, 01:07:25 AM
'I saw a YouTube video' which are conspicuously missing.

Blitzkriegsler, Yeti, YippieKiYayMrFalcon and SilverDragonLord are the ones whom I watch on Youtube. It fell in the same sort of category as: Unreal World and Towns.
Dwarf fortress, I've tried but got stomped on the learning curve.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"