A possible workaround for harsh winters.

Started by Nickvr628, December 09, 2014, 04:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickvr628

Throw everyone into cryosleep pods and wait for summer. Just make sure you leave the turrets on automatic!

Ironvos

And what if you're attacked when there's a solar storm?
You often get raided during these 'convenient' moments.

Tynan

Quote from: Nickvr628 on December 09, 2014, 04:15:31 PM
Throw everyone into cryosleep pods and wait for summer. Just make sure you leave the turrets on automatic!

I think that's an amazing idea and I'd love to hear how it works out.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Tynan on December 09, 2014, 08:52:28 PM

In the previous version of A8 I built a bunker (Using the dev tools) out of plasteel and shoved a whole bunch of cryo pods inside and added plasteel turrets for it's defence. I hope it works out.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Montanio

Quote from: vagineer1 on December 10, 2014, 05:44:57 AM

In the previous version of A8 I built a bunker (Using the dev tools) out of plasteel and shoved a whole bunch of cryo pods inside and added plasteel turrets for it's defence. I hope it works out.

IMO Plasteel is a bad idea due to the fact that it may burn... When I was building outer walls, 4-5 layers of whatever-is-plentiful stone seem durable enough to last forever since raiders only seem to try to headbutt them and usually don't even attack the same piece.

Nickvr628

The only issue is I don't want to just sit and time warp for an entire winter season...
Anyway, is there any dev-menu tool that changes the season. I would love to test this but it is summer in my current world and it takes awhile to time warp that long.

rsdworker

problem is we need timer for cyrosleep so when all is in them - game won't end (No dialog) so example set day/month/time Or season

Endoric

You would probably need to leave one single guy out to wake everyone up.. Not sure how it works...  Can u just right click open sarcophagus?

If the guys in cryo are well deep into a fortress raiders will probably mess up your base but go crazy before long and just retreat or wander.

Capsluck

QuoteYou would probably need to leave one single guy out to wake everyone up..

The some twilight zone level stuff right there.

They thought they had it all figured out. Just sleep through the winter. Let the raiders figure out how to survive while they sleep safely in their mountain vault. Except they forgot one key element in their plan. Who would wake them?

Spring comes, and so they sleep, forever.

Tynan

Gonna move this to public general as A8 is out.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

vagineer1

Quote from: Capsluck on December 10, 2014, 02:18:12 PM
QuoteYou would probably need to leave one single guy out to wake everyone up..

They thought they had it all figured out. Just sleep through the winter. Let the raiders figure out how to survive while they sleep safely in their mountain vault. Except they forgot one key element in their plan. Who would wake them?

Wow... thats deep bro.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Baloun

Quote from: Capsluck on December 10, 2014, 02:18:12 PM

Too... Much.... LOL....

Tiolas

Haha, totally going to try this out.

Will be interesting putting the majority of the colony to sleep with the exception of one tribal caretaker.