montain Roofs, no roofs.

Started by insanevizir, November 09, 2014, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insanevizir

Is there a way to destroy the mountain roof? I'm mining a huge montain, and wanna keep mining until its gonne from the map area. but it keeps creating collapsed roofs and wont let me clear all the roof area with the no roof zones.

Avis

Noooope. Mountain roofs are stubborn like that.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

Endoric

yeah took me a bit to realize what was happening when i first tried to clear an area of some mountains.  didn't get it at first.  i find it annoying that the small mountains cant be cleared at all.

It would be amazing if this engine supported multiple layers instead of just a 2D map.

windruf

multiple layers is too much RAM
instead it should have "thickness" = how many time you need to collapse it before it is gone.

skullywag

Either grab my  moredeco mod or the single thermite bomb download attached to it. Makes mountain roofs thin roofs and thin roofs sky in a 3x3 :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Xarian

Layers are one of the biggest thing that this game is missing. No way it's too much ram, and you can minimize CPU usage by ignoring the tiles that don't have any dynamic objects or visibility, e.g. underground tiles that have never been seen.

insanevizir

Quote from: windruf on November 09, 2014, 11:47:29 PM
multiple layers is too much RAM
instead it should have "thickness" = how many time you need to collapse it before it is gone.

Thats how i supposed it to be. If i keep shooting the damm colapsed blocks, they would eventually run out. guess i'm wasting my time lol.

JimmyAgnt007

I like Mountain roofs, they prevent drop pods.  I wish I could build them.  What id like, is a way to quickly clear the thin mountain roofs along the edges.

skullywag

See above about my mod for clearing of roofs
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ccheuer

Quote from: Endoric on November 09, 2014, 10:02:58 PM
yeah took me a bit to realize what was happening when i first tried to clear an area of some mountains.  didn't get it at first.  i find it annoying that the small mountains cant be cleared at all.

It would be amazing if this engine supported multiple layers instead of just a 2D map.

The problem with that is it becomes very awkward building things on multiple levels, see the game Towns as an example. The way Rimworld is, its very streamlined on how to build structures and what not.

Goo Poni

Towns' multistorey construction was incredibly clunky, though. I found the elevation mechanic in Towns to be clunky overall and hoped that iterations would improve. Unfortunately, the game has been abandoned. Walls were built waist high and required the Towns colonists to clamber up onto the wall to build the second layer, then scaffolding or a staircase of sorts to get to the third "floor" of the map and build the roof, which was basically just more flooring tiles. It was nightmarish to work with it. Colonists could easily strand themselves on the third "floor", unable to get down and thus can starve to death up there, unleashing the vengeful ghosts which then just proceed to tear your colony a new one. And yes, I've had that happen a couple times.

ccheuer

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 29, 2014, 01:05:12 PM
Towns' multistorey construction was incredibly clunky, though. I found the elevation mechanic in Towns to be clunky overall and hoped that iterations would improve. Unfortunately, the game has been abandoned. Walls were built waist high and required the Towns colonists to clamber up onto the wall to build the second layer, then scaffolding or a staircase of sorts to get to the third "floor" of the map and build the roof, which was basically just more flooring tiles. It was nightmarish to work with it. Colonists could easily strand themselves on the third "floor", unable to get down and thus can starve to death up there, unleashing the vengeful ghosts which then just proceed to tear your colony a new one. And yes, I've had that happen a couple times.

The clunkiness was my point.

Fishirboy

I have this whole section of mountain that I have fully minded out, it has no surrounding connections with a mountain and all that is keeping it up is some stone walls. I have tried to get rid of it but as people say, its impossible. I personally would like there to be a z axis so that it feels more realistic and shows how much more you must mine out but that is my Dwarf Fortress side speaking.   :-\

It would be interesting for someone to make a z level mod. Where the npcs can jump off of walls but have a extremely small chance of injury. the higher the more likely. the more starved the higher they will jump. also they would have to have pathing to jump down to a closer z level until there at that z level. There could also be ladders that could be used for construction since were already able to build a god damn space ship why not a ladder?

keylocke

yea.. anyways, check out dwarf corp. it's 2d sprites + 3d environment.

or check out stonehearth or castlestory or universe edge for full 3d colony building games with z-levels. (though some of them are a bit in dev hell)

btw iirc, rimworld is made in unity, (which is a 3d game egine) using a pseudo-2d view via camera restrictions. so the "z-levels" are already there in the game, + A* pathfinding + raycasting for bullet trajectories via different height, angles, distances, and hit collisions, etc... it can even have physics and ragdolls. lol.

rimworld just looks like 2d, coz movements are restricted to 2 axis..

or so i think.. (i've been wrong many, many times before.. haha)  ;D

Elros22

I dont know enough about the engine or the RAM useage, but I do feel like the addition of 2 z-levels (one up , one down) would benefit game play. being able to build walls that colonists can stand on, ditches to slow down attackers, basements for food storage (refrigeration bonus once A8 is released!?), etc. etc. would all fun additions.

All that said, I believe Mr. Developer Man of Wonder has been very clear that z-levels are not in the games future.