"Uninstalled Mode" and its possible implications

Started by Matthiasagreen, November 10, 2014, 02:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthiasagreen

According to the changelog, sculptures will have an "uninstalled mode" where (from what I gather) you can deconstruct and move it without actually having to recreate it. This sounds like an excellent idea and seems to have some implications. If you can create a base for a statue and use that as a means of deconstructing with without losing it, could it be possible to apply this to other items? Could you move that research bench without having to scrap it and start over? I hope that either Tynan applies the idea generally or the basic idea opens up more possibilities for modders to fix that annoying problem. Even if bases cost us some extra resources, it would be worth it for those interior decorators of the game  ;)
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Ramsis

I support that notion good buddy! Though I'd also like to know what Tynan has planned for the art/sculpture stuff.... Are we looking at a great way of earning money? Generating powerful thoughts? Maybe something inspiring to make combat better?

THE OPPORTUNITIES ARE UNENDING!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

H_D

Maybe we could make beds, doors, lamps etc in workshops and just install/uninstall them whenever we want without loosing resources.

REMworlder

Towns uses a system similar to the craft-then-place one suggested for art. It's neat to be able to move stuff around rather than always deconstruct, or be able to have an inventory of furniture ready to be place. That said, I'd rather see the game expanded (like with temps) than have a ton of time spent initiating a new building system.

Ramsis

Hmm... I wonder if this system could ever be used on a larger to small scale. Like, through Haplo we got it so Traders from other colonies visit and set up a tent to trade with, now what if we could pack up and move small bases and redeploy them? Mobile mining camps, lumber yards, etc!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Dougalishere

This would be great , remoddling the dineing room etc is a pita when you have to take apart and rebuild all tables etc.