[WIP] Standardized Materials

Started by Minus, November 19, 2014, 02:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minus

RimWorld has come far since the old days, when carpeting used metal. And although Alpha 8 is approaching, materials are not going to be a big part of it. We mod makers have struggled to make sense of the costs we give to things, we have so little to pick from.

This is going to be a mod that adds new resources to the game to make more sensible construction costs. And I hope that it will become a mod that other big mods make use of.

So far I have permission to use Glassworks, which saves me a lot of trouble with that. Thank you ITOS!

I want to know from you mod users and makers, what materials you wish were in the game. What resources would create more sense in your mod? If your mod already has its own resource creation system in place, I'd like to add that to this mod too. This will be a mod from which all mods can take advantage of.

Adding new minable metals to the game is an option, but not currently planned.

Mods that will use this in future:
Extended Surgery and Bionics

Modders onboard:
Minus
JuliaEllie
ITOS

Current materials added:
Glass, Safety glass (Made from stone)
Wiring, Advanced wiring (Made from metal and gold)
Chemicals. (Made from plants)
Batteries. (For power armour, or any electrical tools.)

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

mipen

I think all the basic metals should be in the game; iron, tin, copper, aluminium. And then some metals that don't occur naturally, like bronze and steel. For steel you would need charcoal or coal to make. It would be really nice if Tynan put these into the game and gave them resource categories - like oreIron for iron, so that a modder could put in a new metal, and have it be able to be used as an iron substitute in recipes (like the minecraft forge ore dictionary)

Shinzy

I have quite a bit of my own materials but they're all very specialized and some of them are there only to limit you from mass production
I'm just trying to say I feel like I have gone "too far" with my own uh.. 'staple?' (that the right word? =P) to switch to a unified global standard sort (Which would be fantastic mind you! I'm not aware of many who'd likes tons of 'duplicate' or similar materials)

And I do like to keep my ponies in my own barn where I gots more control over the stuff I need!
#Shellfish, Stubborn & uncooperative

Minus

Quote from: mipen on November 19, 2014, 03:24:53 AM
I think all the basic metals should be in the game; iron, tin, copper, aluminium. And then some metals that don't occur naturally, like bronze and steel. For steel you would need charcoal or coal to make. It would be really nice if Tynan put these into the game and gave them resource categories - like oreIron for iron, so that a modder could put in a new metal, and have it be able to be used as an iron substitute in recipes (like the minecraft forge ore dictionary)
Speaking of minecraft, my biggest issues with mods was that there were often 4 instances of copper/tin/bronze in my game. Really don't want to see that become the same here. Thus this mod.

I don't know of any mods that use different metals though, so I didn't think it was gonna be requested. If enough others want it then It's going in.

Quote from: Shinzy on November 19, 2014, 04:38:43 AM
I have quite a bit of my own materials but they're all very specialized and some of them are there only to limit you from mass production
I'm just trying to say I feel like I have gone "too far" with my own uh.. 'staple?' (that the right word? =P) to switch to a unified global standard sort (Which would be fantastic mind you! I'm not aware of many who'd likes tons of 'duplicate' or similar materials)

And I do like to keep my ponies in my own barn where I gots more control over the stuff I need!
What materials do you use? Could none of the things you've made benefit from having a middle process removed? Or you could have that process become twice as useful, if another mod uses the same thing it produces. I'll be talking with everyone that plans to use this mod to make certain things are kept balanced.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

Shinzy

Quote from: Minus on November 19, 2014, 07:23:45 AM
Quote from: mipen on November 19, 2014, 03:24:53 AM
Speaking of minecraft, my biggest issues with mods was that there were often 4 instances of copper/tin/bronze in my game. Really don't want to see that become the same here. Thus this mod.

I don't know of any mods that use different metals though, so I didn't think it was gonna be requested. If enough others want it then It's going in.

Quote from: Shinzy on November 19, 2014, 04:38:43 AM

What materials do you use? Could none of the things you've made benefit from having a middle process removed? Or you could have that process become twice as useful, if another mod uses the same thing it produces. I'll be talking with everyone that plans to use this mod to make certain things are kept balanced.

cupla trader exclusive items needed for upgrading items (Compound paste / Pile of Gadgets)
Hex-Cell (The battery used in charge rifles etc. as written on the Rimworld lore)
I've had it being acquired from dismantling an power armor =P can also be used to craft powered armour)

bunch of real and imaginary fabrics
and some ores that require their own exlusive category because the vanilla metals/raw resources don't have apparel stats bound to them (and I use them for crafting armor) ofcourse I've kept most of the ores imaginary ones (Just for the 5 different types of tin and whatnot, there's gna be eventually) The only real ores I've got are Strontium and the (soontm) Cummingtonite
But I don't imagine any self respecting modder would ever use those two as materials
Did I just insult myse.. yes I did

only the hex-cell and fabrics I could see as something that could be separated
from my mod
But the extra "fabrics" don't really have any other usage aside from making clothes
so I don't see them as any useful addition to this thing

and 'requiring' use of another mod just for the 'batteries' would be too "much"

Ofcourse I'm pretty sure the game is smart enough to replace the duplicate defs without breaking any of the recipes using them, right? (That's how I've understood it)

So the hex-cell is literally the only thing I'd see as useful as a standard crafting material