[Mod Request/Help] Armor Rework

Started by Nopkar, November 14, 2014, 12:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nopkar

I want to rework the current armor/clothing system and replace Damage Deflection with Damage Absorption (in most cases. Thick, powerful armor like Power Armor may deflect incoming shots, but not a T-shirt)

Currently if your armor/clothes (I'll just say armor from now own) protect against something, there's a chance you won't be damaged. I may be picturing this wrong in my head but I see a pawn wearing a T-shirt and taking a rifle round to the chest but the round just bouncing off, of course this happens extremely rarely but still it can happen with this system.

My theory is that when a bullet connects the armor reduces the incoming damage by a certain amount based on the material used and the default item being contacted.

Example time!: We have two T-shirts, one made of Cotton and one made of Hyperweave.

The Cotton has no real protection from damage, just from cold/heat so projectiles and melee weapons would do full damage on contact.

Hyperweave is significantly more protective, more like a futuristic kevlar that can provide above average protection for its size, reducing incoming damage by 2 or 3 points.

This is of course in relation to a T-shirt, when you go up to layers or actual protection like combat vests. A combat vest made of cotton is protective, reducing melee damage but not very effective against bullets or piercing whereas the hyperweave variant is better in most if not all respects. Where this gets interesting is with minimum damage values. Imagine a suited up power-armor powerhouse...she's got almost perfect immunity to small-caliber rounds piercing her shell but those impacts take a toll on the body regardless in the form of blunt force trauma that's translated through the armor, eventually knocking her unconscious or killing under heavy sustained fire.

Basically I feel this would make a significantly more robust combat system that can be coupled with huge weapon mods like Project Armory https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=1950.0 and awesome clothing mods like Apparello https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5085.0

This seems like a scatter-brained rant of a mod request or even help so that I could possibly do it myself but in all honesty this is an idea that would take thousands of words to explain and flesh out with the values involved and how they correlate in the game. I'm already working on a damage related mod based on the PA framework (Evul, you're amazing). If you need more information or more clarity as to what i'm actually asking just PM me or prepare for a wall of text on my next post :P

skullywag

I believe Tynan recently reworked the armour for A8. Check the change log for what he did ad im not sure it was this.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Wex

This exact thing is (probably) the changes made to armor in alpha 8
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison