Hunting AI needs to learn basic gun safty!

Started by Sion, November 15, 2014, 03:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

This is the reason to why you should never have more than one colonists as a hunter, always hunt far away from your colony, and even then you need to baby sit them.

I'm looking forward to see what hunting "accidents" your colony have experienced.

This is what happens if you hunt to close to your colony:
(Butcher is hunting snakes and Farmer tries to be a suicidal idiot)

And this is what happens of you have more than one hunter:
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

NoImageAvailable

Oddly enough I haven't had any hunting accidents beyond the occasional stray bullet, even though I have automated hunters killing everything that comes close to my colony. Then again I am using realistic weaponry so maybe that affects things?
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Goo Poni

If anything, the realistic weapons mod would exaggerate friendly fire during hunting. Instead of taking hits, colonists would be losing limbs or their lives entirely. I have two hunters who are also the colony cooks. They use some really long range sniper rifles that can potentially kill another colonist in single hits but have yet to have some problems hunting. Being the colony cooks, as soon as they make a kill they collect the animal and head back home to make up a few cuts of meat. Hunting away from the colony also means they tend to situate themselves in places where they're unlikely to hit each other and the high power weaponry means they're not gonna be unloading untold bullets in the direction of a herd. I'm sure I'd be having plenty of problems if I decided to give them miniguns to go hunting with.

Shinzy

My sniper hunter had real devious plan with shooting the wall near the animal
luring in some unsuspecting tasty repairmen for him to hunt

I had just developed real bond to my depressed colonist I had named Eeyore (I love eeyore)
shot in the back of the head with m24 while on repair duty. RIP Eeyore

Edit: I now have one single Too Smart hunter equipped with shotgun, she ranks the shooting skill real fast! and there's very little accidents with it being single shot and very short range (some 'accidents' has happened though)

Sion

In my second image, the colonist had full health but was insta-killed, I didn't even had a chance to rescue the colonist.

Goo Poni

Yeah, if they get shot square in the chest or head with enough damage, it's an out right kill. My colony's sniper rifles do in the region of 40 damage. A solid hit to pretty much anything is a kill. Even Centipedes can't hold up to the volleyed fire because one hit to the head destroys them. Humans only have about 30 HP in their chest. Less in the head.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 15, 2014, 08:05:09 PM
Yeah, if they get shot square in the chest or head with enough damage, it's an out right kill. My colony's sniper rifles do in the region of 40 damage. A solid hit to pretty much anything is a kill. Even Centipedes can't hold up to the volleyed fire because one hit to the head destroys them. Humans only have about 30 HP in their chest. Less in the head.

Human torsos have 40 health, human heads have 30 health. Mechanical heads and brains have 30 health according to the BodyPartDefs file, but with a little devmode shootout it looks like a centipede's head and artificial brain actually have 39 health. Bug, maybe, who knows.

Anyway, M-24s do 40 damage, and armor doesn't reduce damage in A7, so you're right. Any human body part hit by an M24 shot will be destroyed, including the torso. Centipede heads also.

Human brains only have 10 health. Pistols and short bows do 10 damage, so one shot from one of those can actually kill. That's the lowest-damage way to kill, as far as I know. The vital organs have 20 health.

I assume that's what happened in the second picture (especially with the floating "headshot" and the pistol). One very unlikely pistol shot to the brain, one dead colonist. Is that how it died, Sion?
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Goo Poni

I was incredibly amused when one of my colonists suffered brain damage from having stones thrown at them while their head escaped unscathed. Stones that phase through bone. Impressive for tribals. Wouldn't mind if injuries were a bit more plausible. If my guy took a hit in a lung, surely that would also mean his chest took a hit as well. Similarly you can't damage a fibula without taking a lump out of your leg.

Cimanyd

Additional thought to previous post: Maybe those pirates that are wearing nothing but a power armor helmet are on to something... :D

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 15, 2014, 10:22:17 PM
I was incredibly amused when one of my colonists suffered brain damage from having stones thrown at them while their head escaped unscathed. Stones that phase through bone. Impressive for tribals. Wouldn't mind if injuries were a bit more plausible. If my guy took a hit in a lung, surely that would also mean his chest took a hit as well. Similarly you can't damage a fibula without taking a lump out of your leg.

That's exactly how it works every time I've seen it. A bullet can hit, causing two wounds, one to the torso and one to the left lung. Or one to the right arm and one to the right humerus. Or three, even, in the case of the brain, skull, and head. They count as different wounds for pain, healing, everything, it's just one shot causing two injuries. You sure the head and skull were fine? Maybe they got healed before you saw, since brain and eye damage are permanent but all other parts can be healed if not destroyed?
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Goo Poni

Likely possible that some wounds healed before I got a look at them, making injuries seem incomplete. I tend not to look over my colonists until a raid is over unless one of them go into shock.

Sion

Quote from: Cimanyd on November 15, 2014, 10:18:07 PM
Human brains only have 10 health. Pistols and short bows do 10 damage, so one shot from one of those can actually kill. That's the lowest-damage way to kill, as far as I know. The vital organs have 20 health.

I assume that's what happened in the second picture (especially with the floating "headshot" and the pistol). One very unlikely pistol shot to the brain, one dead colonist. Is that how it died, Sion?

I wasn't looking at the time, I only got a message saying something like: "Colonist X have died", unfortunately I didn't check what he died from, but I think the picture explains enough, camels usually don't shoot people.

Cat123

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 15, 2014, 10:22:17 PM
I was incredibly amused when one of my colonists suffered brain damage from having stones thrown at them while their head escaped unscathed.

That's entirely possible: look at boxers. You can kill someone with one punch and never break their skin.

fraz

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on November 15, 2014, 03:48:49 PMI have automated hunters killing everything that comes close to my colony.
How do you automate hunters?

BetaSpectre

For hunting you should use Machinegun turrets IMO, this way you don't risk colonists and you don't have to make them stop working to kill things just use your machine guns.

Sure you gotta pick up the bodies, but you can gather berries while you do it or build walls.

Even years in I'm never without some mundane task that I want to take care of. Hunting not even being close to a consideration.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Goo Poni

I use TTM and build a couple animal zappers to kill creatures that walk near the base. Any time I hear the damage sound effect while looking at the colony, or hear the squeal of a boar, check the zappers, unforbid the corpse and carry on. Free food! They're extremely expensive to run for what they do, though. Something like 1.3k power usage to keep them running considering they only affect animals that come into contact with them. You can host a small killbox's worth of turrets on that sort of power draw.