Rimworld City Colony

Started by Halinder, November 15, 2014, 10:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halinder

Has anyone built a colony that actually appears as though it's a city? Maybe not with everyone having their own house or stores everywhere, but at least the road layout, lamps on the streets, alleys and everything -- basically city infrastructure, with dense population centers in the middle, perhaps industrial areas too, and farms on the outside.

Klitri

I do, everyone usually gets a house too.
I also make governments, and roleplay a lot.. Cityscapes are fun!

christhekiller

Like this? I usually go for individual housing for non-prisoners and typically keep everything in segregated-ish areas. Although I've never done any shops, what since there's nothing to sell among colonists

Halinder

Sort of, but more concrete roads, metal houses, less open space and lamps coating the streets, that kind of thing.

Shinzy

I had a 'city' in alpha 5 or 4 "Friendly Phoebia" but I can't reload it anymore =P (I tried)

Concrete roads lined with Paving and buildings and alleyways
ofc I made the mistake to play it as Phoebe friendly, I never got enough citizens
for it and the raids were three guys with pistols

I have gone with the more 'village' since then
http://imgur.com/pdGbzJy <- It's lacking the urban look but there's multiple 'restaurants' around the area and I gots the slums, too =P

Goo Poni

That colony is ridiculously big. How do you manage raiders with a colony that big? I had a tiny colony and raiders would occasionally land directly south of the two oil refineries, about 10 tiles away from them.

Shinzy

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 16, 2014, 07:10:58 AM
That colony is ridiculously big. How do you manage raiders with a colony that big? I had a tiny colony and raiders would occasionally land directly south of the two oil refineries, about 10 tiles away from them.

Just raw force! I have very close to 70 colonists, all armed and ready to go, there's plenty of corners to hide behind and the raiders panic/run pretty fast (I do lose few colonists almost every fight (check the graveyard in the middle ;P ) but also get equal amount or more new recruits (When you can surround them from every direction before they leave the drop pods or reach your colony it's just a slaughterfest =P ) (And I have plenty of space to retreat if needed!)

Spectre

Quote from: Shinzy on November 16, 2014, 04:48:24 AM
I had a 'city' in alpha 5 or 4 "Friendly Phoebia" but I can't reload it anymore =P (I tried)

ofc I made the mistake to play it as Phoebe friendly, I never got enough citizens

http://imgur.com/pdGbzJy <- It's lacking the urban look but there's multiple 'restaurants' around the area and I gots the slums, too =P

That is incredibly impressive, which story teller did you have it set to?
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Shinzy

Quote from: Spectre on November 16, 2014, 05:00:59 PM

That's Randy! I don't think the others would let me get so many colonists (or let me survive) ;D

Spectre

Quote from: Shinzy on November 16, 2014, 05:03:12 PM

That's Randy! I don't think the others would let me get so many colonists (or let me survive) ;D

Sorry for getting all fanboyey about it but do you have any advise on where to start with something of that magnitude? I seem to lack the 'bigger picture' when starting a colony and I end up with an inefficient mess.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Shinzy

Quote from: Spectre on November 16, 2014, 05:11:47 PM
Quote from: Shinzy on November 16, 2014, 05:03:12 PM

Sorry for getting all fanboyey about it but do you have any advise on where to start with something of that magnitude? I seem to lack the 'bigger picture' when starting a colony and I end up with an inefficient mess.

I've just kept expanding outwards from the middle (tore down most of the initial buildings to build bigger one and then just keep building =P don't really have any advice! I just go with what feels like the most fun thing to do next

it sort of comes together by itself if you just want to build everyone their own house (or big apartment building) Just refuse to pack everyone in one huge room =P

It's like playing tetris more or less ::)

Patrykbono20

#Halinder - every build a colony in this plane man. in mountain or open area.
Its nothing special

christhekiller

Here ya go. I call it New Mining Town. The roads are concrete with stone side walks. There are lamps here and there, though I didn't want to go overboard. There's also the suburbs near the mines where everyone lives, which is next to the square/ trade beacon. The farmlands are out of the way and there are even separate rooms for each hospital bed (not the most efficient use of space, but I felt sick people should be quarantined. The prison is pretty large with separate(ish) cells for each prisoner with a community eating area and medical wing for prisoners. The crematorium is built into the wall behind an auto stone door.

I've even taken pains to role play the building of powerlines. I stuck to a rule that no power conduit could travel more than 10 spacesl, and they had to go straight, the exception for this being walls. So the keen eye may observe random single wooden power walls with connecting power conduits. It certainly made bringing power to my colony more interesting, with a noticably heavier reliance on building power into the walls and just building small connections on multiple points between many buildings.

http://imgur.com/nvTcr7D

Klitri

This is my most recent city. Ludeon (Random name)

Smallest city I've ever made, tons of mods too.

http://imgur.com/USa3mKf

Halinder

Quote from: Klitri on November 22, 2014, 08:46:06 PM
This is my most recent city. Ludeon (Random name)

Smallest city I've ever made, tons of mods too.

http://imgur.com/USa3mKf

I have no idea why, but I mistook the top left rock formation for an SS13 Alien Empress and was about to immediately ask where you got the mod..