[MOD] (Alpha 8) Roof Support v0.8.3 (21-12-2014)

Started by Nommy, November 16, 2014, 07:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Quote from: Minus on November 19, 2014, 02:47:53 AM
Like the idea! Infact, I could've done with this earlier before I caved in my entire colony trying to make a bigger bedroom. But the graphic as it is right now looks so very out of place. I'll download this mod and then make my own graphic for it. I see you are getting a lot of help already in that area, but how hard is it really to draw a cylinder? The real issue I see is when pawns walk through it, it may look weird.

Please share what you come up with for a texture so that I can learn from what you did and maybe improve my skills. As for the question about how hard it is to draw a cylinder, I can't even draw a column very well with a pen and paper. I've never been very good at artistic things. My lamps mod was the first thing I ever attempted to draw using any computer program (not counting crude stick figure drawings on paintbrush when I had my first computer). It may be a lot easier for someone who has some artistic inclination, but my artistic skill stopped being developed in kindergarten like most people.

Minus

I think artistically I'm in the same position as you really. Only I did 2 years at art college, so my stickmen have been upgraded to, kinda sausage men, things...

Anyway I tried my hand at it and, I just didn't like the cylinder I made. So I wound up editing the wall texture about instead. So it's probably not want you want.

I slightly improved contrast just after I took this picture, but it still looks about the same.

OH! And add <shaderType>CutoutComplex</shaderType> under the <graphicPathSingle> code. Not sure it'll work without it. I didn't actually try.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

Shinzy

Quote from: Minus on November 19, 2014, 08:56:19 AM
Anyway I tried my hand at it and, I just didn't like the cylinder I made. So I wound up editing the wall texture about instead. So it's probably not want you want.

This one's grape! the corners bit hard to see and the bottom bit is too large compared to the top so I shamelessly snatched your pole and cut some bits off of it
Cause that's what I do when I see something with potential that doesn't quite please me, okay?

Igabod

Shinzy has it the closest to what I see in my mind as a good column. I think it still needs some slight tweaks to be perfect but it's almost there. I haven't seen it in game yet though. Going to try it out later when I finish what I'm currently doing.

[edit to add] to be more specific on the tweaks, the defining line between the base and the column itself needs some more darkening because it is barely visible in plain white and will be even less visible when the stuff system recolors it I would think.

Nommy

Yeah, that's more like what I had in mind too, thanks guys. I tried adding an outline:
The last one has a bit darker line between the base and the column.

Album of them in use in game (in my kinda lame base so maybe not the best example. best viewed in fullscreen mode)

What do you reckon about those?

I had another idea, wouldn't it be cool if there were little statues of people holding the roof up instead of just a boring pillar?

Kinda like this (youtube - despicable me bank of evil)

[Edit - added this one]

Maybe it wouldn't really work since you can't see the roof. Hmmmm. Would be fun though. Thoughts?

Igabod

I personally wouldn't have the skill to do something like that. But if someone were to attempt it, it would be difficult to get the details to show up enough that you would recognize it as a humanoid figure. For an example, attached is my attempt at a skull column. It looks great when you zoom in on it, but in game it looks like a white pillar with a bunch of black lines through it.

Nommy

I had to try it :)

It's not the worst, except the base is just a MS paint oval. I think I kinda like the statue though. It is a bit hard to see though because he's so skinny I think.

I'd have about as much chance as an ice cube in hell of drawing that by hand too.

Matthiasagreen

What about using the base and top of the previous support, but adding a miniature version of the current game sprite as the middle part. It would make sense for the person on your support to appear like their type of people instead fo ours.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Minus

Quote from: Shinzy on November 19, 2014, 01:56:16 PM
This one's grape! the corners bit hard to see and the bottom bit is too large compared to the top so I shamelessly snatched your pole and cut some bits off of it
Cause that's what I do when I see something with potential that doesn't quite please me, okay?

I can't believe that just shrinking the base down a bit made such a huge difference! It feels like it should have been obvious to me to try that, but I just couldn't see what was causing the odd look. Thankyou Shinzy, gonna use your edit, but with the black outlines. Infact, I think they could do with a slight thickening. Attaching what is now the final version I am using.

It's really awesome to see several people all workign together like this.

Shinzy

Quote from: Minus on November 20, 2014, 09:45:46 AM

I can't believe that just shrinking the base down a bit made such a huge difference! It feels like it should have been obvious to me to try that, but I just couldn't see what was causing the odd look. Thankyou Shinzy, gonna use your edit, but with the black outlines.

Aye It really needs the black borders (if you could fix the base a bit though still, it could use slight slope on the 'back' like
oh It's too hard to explain -> like so! do that!

It started to bother me too much ;D [Danger: Perfectionist alert!]

Edit: maybe not that big of a slope though, but so it's not just flat square base
ima.. ima go now :-[ bye!

Igabod

Quote from: Shinzy on November 20, 2014, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: Minus on November 20, 2014, 09:45:46 AM

I can't believe that just shrinking the base down a bit made such a huge difference! It feels like it should have been obvious to me to try that, but I just couldn't see what was causing the odd look. Thankyou Shinzy, gonna use your edit, but with the black outlines.

Aye It really needs the black borders (if you could fix the base a bit though still, it could use slight slope on the 'back' like

It started to bother me too much ;D [Danger: Perfectionist alert!]

Edit: maybe not that big of a slope though, but so it's not just flat square base
ima.. ima go now :-[ bye!

I love seeing all this collaboration! This forum community is the best for sure.

Matthiasagreen

I am not sure if the back needs a slope, or a line going from each back corner to the base, like in the front. giving the front and back the lighter gray and the sides the darker gray. Not an artist so I can't really show what I mean. Hope it was clear.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Minus

Quote from: Shinzy on November 20, 2014, 09:59:16 AM
I wish my brain worked in 3D. Another thing that feels obvious, that I'd never have been able to work out. You have been a huge help!

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on November 20, 2014, 11:24:36 AM
Hope it was clear.
Nope, not a clue what you meant.

Matthiasagreen

Something Like this notice the lighter gray shade in the back

Nommy

Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe it needs to a darker shade in the back instead of lighter. IDK I'm just guessing. But something to highlight the corners at the back so it looks more like a pyramid shape would be better huh?

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on November 20, 2014, 09:16:00 AM
What about using the base and top of the previous support, but adding a miniature version of the current game sprite as the middle part. It would make sense for the person on your support to appear like their type of people instead fo ours.
Yeah, I was thinking of using the sprites, but there's one small technical difficulty: they don't have any arms! Poor little buggers, you can't expect people with no arms to hold up a roof, can you? Seriously though, that's a good idea. I might look into it if the mood takes me.

Quote from: Minus on November 20, 2014, 12:19:21 PM
I wish my brain worked in 3D...
Reminds me of a Simpsons episode :)

Yeah, it's great that everyone is helping. I'm not 100% sold on the slopped bottom part at the back either. Perhaps less slope? I can't quite work out if I think it looks better or not. I hope you know the bit I'm talking about.

What is the extra white cutout image for Minus? Something to do with this:
Quote from: Minus on November 19, 2014, 08:56:19 AMOH! And add <shaderType>CutoutComplex</shaderType> under the <graphicPathSingle> code. Not sure it'll work without it. I didn't actually try.
I haven't actually tried that yet. I should, but it seemed to be working ok already and I don't know what it does or why it's better. Any chance you could fill me in?