Underrated Sci-Fi Shows

Started by Robitski, November 07, 2013, 06:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robitski

I'm afraid I'm gonna say it: Doctor Who. It's 50th anniversary is coming up and I can't believe to most people outside of the UK it's an obscure show! It should be a household name worldwide by now. Oh, woe is me.
At least 3.5% more reliable than a garden strimmer.

Airborne

It's not obscure to me!

It's more known than you think, everybody around where i lives knows about it, and pays to watch it online.

I really want a sonic screwdriver...
Quote from: drakesdoom;760994The brightest among us often underestimate the ability of an idiot that won't give up.

Cyclops

Doctor who? Oh please. Stargate, now there's an underrated Sci-fi show.

Dragula

I love the earlier Stargate SG-1. The newer shows aren't as good.

Also Primeval is great fun.

Robitski

Oh yeah, I loved Primeval! Shame it got cancelled, but they were running out of idea : (

I hear it's Canadian now? Set in Vancouver or something?

Galileus

I never got over newest crew behind Doctor Who. They've successfully abolished a lot of ground rules set by earlier productions. Also, love novel in space and time with everyone being a mother or sister to everyone else... no, please!

Stargate was excellent. SG-1 was awesome, Atlantis was ok, even Universe got a little good right before they cancelled it.

Firefly is a must-see, but probably everyone knows that in here :)

BUT! I'm surprised there is no mention of Farscape yet. The show starts slow, I only got into it after my friend pretty much told me to "suffer the *** out of these first episodes and WATCH IT!". So I did and boy... was I in for a surprise. The show follows tales a single human lost in deep space after an accidental wormhole travel, far-far away from Earth. His appearance in the middle of a struggle leads to death of a brother to high military commander - and thus he becomes a target himself, and has to run away with a bunch of escaped prisoners.
With a great show put up by lead actors (Ben Browder, also second SG-1 lead; and Claudia Black), a huge amount of great secondary characters, amazing villain and all-practical (and so amazing!) special effects this show rates my top of sci-fi on par with Firefly - with the added benefit of having much more seasons ;)

Robitski

I must watch Farscape then!

Yeah, the new Doctor Who is too complicated, I blame the Moffat. I think it's been made faster and more complicated for little kids' who's attention span is about 0.2 seconds these days : P

I can't wait for The Day of The Doctor, it looks good!

Wopian

mmm Red Dwarf X...

Absolutely dying to watch Day Of The Doctor though. Can't wait ^-^

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

Darthaidan

Heroes was one that I just started watching. Also Here in the Mid U.S. there are lots of Doctor Who lovers.

Cyclops

Quote from: Robitski on November 08, 2013, 10:35:21 AM
I must watch Farscape then!

Yeah, the new Doctor Who is too complicated, I blame the Moffat. I think it's been made faster and more complicated for little kids' who's attention span is about 0.2 seconds these days : P

I can't wait for The Day of The Doctor, it looks good!

To be fair, Moffat was not the only person who did it. I highly doubt anyone saw Captain Jack being the Face of Boe coming.

Grimreaper1704

Me looking Firefly for now on this is a very good serie :)

Dragula

Yeah still need to delve into firefly, never heard of it prior to rimworld.

And not entirely but still great; Fringe. Loved the first season but then lost track of the series so stopped watching. Really need to get to it.

Pendryn

If anything, Doctor Who is overrated. It is quirky, and that is about it. I suppose that is enough for most though.

SG-1 is probably my favorite Sci-Fi show of all time.
Reticulating all the splines.

Cyclops

Well, If we are pointing out the best Sci-fi of all time now, I'd say my favorite was Star Trek: TNG.

Robitski

Quote from: Pendryn on November 09, 2013, 10:22:02 AM
If anything, Doctor Who is overrated. It is quirky, and that is about it. I suppose that is enough for most though.

SG-1 is probably my favorite Sci-Fi show of all time.

You should watch some more episodes, the ones in the 60s especially were well written and inventive. Considering it, Doctor Who was one of the founding programmes to establish the sci-fi on TV movement.