[MOD] (Alpha 8f) Guns as Turrets (v1.07) BUGFIX 30/01/05

Started by Mythrell, January 19, 2015, 10:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrell

Guns as Turrets v1.07

Description:
It's yet another mod which uses current guns as basis of turrets, also replaces graphics. Each turret has to be researched first in order to build them. Old turret has been removed (there's a version where it will still be in) which will cause issues in any old save games.

Guns in turrets use same stats as normal guns, and building a turret requires one gun and 120-160 steel. HP are unmodified.

Research

First off, every turret requires "Targeting Computer" research, which has research cost of 50 .

After that, every gun has to be researched (or fitted) separately:

Turret Name:Research:Resources cost:
Pilum Thrower5050 metallic, 50 wood
Short Bow5050 metallic, 50 wood
Great Bow7550 metallic, 25 steel, 50 wood
Pistol5080 metallic, 20 steel
Lee-Enfield75100 metallic, 25 steel
UZI100100 metallic, 25 steel
Shotgun125100 metallic, 25 steel
M-16250100 metallic, 50 steel
M24250100 metallic, 50 steel
T9 Incendiary Launcher250100 metallic, 75 steel
L-15 LMG250100 metallic, 75 steel
R4 Charge Rifle300100 metallic, 75 steel
Minigun300100 metallic, 100 steel
Org. Improvised Turret-80 metallic, 80 steel

Graphics
All the gun graphics are free to use non commercially licenced images from 3D models, I do not claim any copyrights etc. Some of them are free 3D models, some just normal pictures. I spent waaaaay too much time with them, and yes, the minigun is untextured  model (replaced in v1.02, yay!) as I don't have 3D Max and I honestly couldn't be arsed to find another. It does look menacing still yet to a trained eye it will be a sore thumb.

As I'm not really any kind of artist, only way for me to put out any graphics is pretty much using 3D models or pictures, which means that they are a bit out of place regarding the art style.

Balance
I've played a couple of games with the turrets and they seem to be pretty fair, I would say that most of them are weaker than the improvised turret. If there's a need to balance them more, I'll see what I can do about it.

Future Developement
It's definitely a possibility, I'll do it probably for the next alpha which apparently changes a lot with weapons and of course, if any bugs are found, they must be killed. In the end, I didn't really set out to do this mod at all, but it just kinda happened.

Change Log:
v1.01 (19.01.15):
- Now also removes GunTurretCooling research if improvised turret is removed. No change in the other version.
v1.02 (20.01.15):
- Graphics overhaul, replaced all dubious gun graphics. Refresh banner image if needed to see new models.
- Repacked into zip instead of 7z for easier use.
- Version which has the vanilla turret will henceforth be identified by T.
v1.03 (21.01.15):
- Added turret structure with ammo box and nice little 90's security camera as "targeting computer"
- Adjusted Shotgun and R4 Charge Rifle graphics.
v1.04 (21.01.15):
- Fixed turrets FilthLeavings which caused an error when any turret was destroyed.
- Fixed typo on preview image
- Changed file folder names to have underscores instead of space. You should remove old folders before adding this!
- Mod needs to be reactivated as it does not directly replace the old one.
v1.05 (22.01.2015):
- BUG: Fixed Uzi Turret research requirement.
- ADDED: Neolithic weapon turrets, Pilum Thrower, Short Bow and Great Bow Turrets.
- BALANCE: Changed some turret research and building costs around
v1.06 (22.01.2015)
- BUG: Turret building costs were roughly twice the intended amount.
- BALANCE: Tweaked some turrets intended (and now actual) building cost.

v1.07 (30.01.2015)
- BUG: M-16 turret had Shotgun Turret as  research requirement. Fixed.

Download
Without the improvised turret: http://www.datagnomes.info/files/Guns_as_Turrets_v1.07.zip
With improvised turret: http://www.datagnomes.info/files/Guns_as_Turrets_T_v1.07.zip
How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Epyk

Neat mod.

And welcome to the forums with your first post! Always glad to see new modders.
Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Mythrell

Thanks, I'm happy to be here. I simply love the game and modding it is made very easy, so why not do it :)

elStrages

50 to reaserch seem skins of pointless. Miles will not put it in. Otherwise good mod

Mythrell

Basic idea behind it is that you have to build research table (which costs iron and time) and do at least 100 research to get the first turret (pistol is 2x 50 research), yet you can choose to go something bigger since the pistol is weak.  But yeah, it's something which could require adjustment.