new world generation

Started by Quasarrgames, November 14, 2014, 04:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

i like the world generation system. it's really cool to have multiple colonies on the same world that share common enemies and stuff. however, currently it seems a little limiting on what worlds you can generate. it's almost always just a large oblong continent surrounded by water with equal amounts of each biome. If this game is inspired by firefly, where's the desert planets? the ice worlds? why cant we have pandora-like planets? or ruined planets?

basically, i think it would be cooler if there were different types of worlds you could choose from. maybe terra (world generation now) ice (creates a world that is mostly tundra with little ocean) desert (which is mostly desert and arid shrub land with very little ocean) and pandora (which is mostly jungle with a little forest).

there could also be a new biome called 'ruin' which is mostly just randomly-generated ruins, and a floor made mostly of concrete and tile. there could even be ruin worlds as well.

what do you think?
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

skullywag

Im all for variety but the worldmap is literally just a biome picker currently so what would the benefit actually be? Once its fleshed out maybe but we dont know Tynans plan for it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

millenium

unfortunately i dont see the point. more biomes yes. worlds of those biomes no. what is the further reaching implications of this system? more of a certain type of enemy this certain type of resource. what would be the larger impact on gameplay?

BetaSpectre

Tynan created the planets to be realistic.

Worlds tend not to support life when its all desert, Sun, fire, water, or ice. While I do think that a world should be predominantly of a certain biome depending on the planet. The system as isn't disagreeable, and when you think about it why is your ship broken above the planet anyway? Who'd visit a desolate desert, ice, or water world?

I want us like in starbound to be able to use a ship to explore the galaxy. With the Random Seed Generator to create worlds for us to explore and enjoy.

FTL Ship to ship fighting, and starbound exploration, mixed with Rimworld colony management would be quite an epic game.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO