Why aren't Steam keys included for purchases after Nov 4?

Started by TheVoidDragon, November 18, 2014, 01:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Quote from: Tynan on November 18, 2014, 10:25:31 PM
If I die in a car accident... there won't be any more updates either way :)
God damnit tynan don't suggest that. I hope you are playing life on pheobe friendly and not randy random.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Kagemusha

Life is always played on Randy Random...at least it's not Cassandra.

And for those who don't have time to read the whole thread and knee jerk react to the ambiguously worded thread topic: If you bought RimWorld before or on the 4th of November 2014 then you will still receive a Steam Key. If you bought it after that date then you probably won't.

Can a Mod edit the thread title to something like: "Why aren't Steam keys included with purchased after 4 November 2014" or something a little more elegant that removes the possible ambiguity in 'anymore' which I myself thought meant that they were being removed from all purchases.

keylocke

also, where can we check if rimworld is on greenlight? (i don't check greenlight, ludeon forums, daily. lol)

Pirx Danford

Quote from: keylocke on November 20, 2014, 06:50:54 AM
also, where can we check if rimworld is on greenlight? (i don't check greenlight, ludeon forums, daily. lol)

Its already been successfully greenlit
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183032873

Now all it needs is to be finished enough in Tynans opinion to be fit enough for Steam.
As soon as he believes it to be there he can put it up, but seeing how much early access games are being torn apart I can see why he would wait until its really good enough.
It wouldn't do to have the forum flooded by trolls and constant negative bashing would even demotivate the toughest developer, so let it take the time it needs :-)

litlbear

EDIT: Thought you meant we had like a certain amount of time to claim them, my bad, yes we get keys.
yes

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: litlbear on November 20, 2014, 02:51:38 PM
I bought this game a loooong time ago, not sure when.  Upset that I don't get a key.

This isn't at all what this thread is saying. Please re-read the thread and edit your post so-as no to confuse others.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

voodoodad

The only reason I would want to see it on Steam would be because it would be (very slightly) easier receiving updates through Steam. Early Access is a minefield of trolls asking when the next update will be et cetera. I'm happy to support the independent development of Rimworld as it stands.

Tynan

I've updated the thread title to clarify the actual policy situation here. See the FAQ on ludeon.com for more info if you want it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TheVoidDragon

Quote from: Tynan on November 20, 2014, 04:14:22 PM
I've updated the thread title to clarify the actual policy situation here. See the FAQ on ludeon.com for more info if you want it.

Thanks, hopefully that stops people from misunderstanding what i meant.

I'm not too sure If I've got something wrong myself, though. Valve have said they don't want you mentioning Steam Keys at the moment while selling the game via the site, which is fine. However, doesn't this part on the Steam Greenlight FAQ mean that there isn't really anything stopping you giving them to people who purchase after Nov 4 once the game is released on Steam anyway, if you wanted to?

QuoteIf my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?

Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.

Tynan

Void, you're correct. In fact I don't know any more than you do; Valve's policies are there to read. Bottom line is, I can't promise anything.

ccheuer

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on November 18, 2014, 10:00:20 PM
Sales = dropped. No way would I buy a digital copy of a game when its sole method of acquisition is via a download from a indie company server. What happens if Ty busts and cant make bandwidth payments? Or even if he died in a car accident or something random?

The "I'm waiting for it to come out on Steam" argument is now 100% completely valid.
'

TBH, that argument is actually for the benefit of Ludeon, in a strange way.

Most people fall into one of three categories. A) They have no problems playing alphas, and won't get tired of it. B) They have no problem playing alphas, but WILL eventually get tired of the game, and C) They hate alphas. Regardless, if someone falls into B or C, its better for them to first play a near/already completed game, as they will recommend it a lot more quickly since they don't have to tack on the "but its in alpha" to their friends, which puts some people off, namely group C.

Thus, if people fall into B or C, its better for them to wait for the steam version anyways.

Granath

I understand what Ty is saying but this prevented me from buying the game this weekend. I want to buy and support RimWorld because it looks wonderful.

But if I purchase now, I am not guaranteed a Steam key. Everyone who purchased before November 4th is. At some point in the future - for example, 6 months from now if/when the game is Greenlighted or released Early Access on Steam - everyone will get one then too. So there could be a very minor subset of players who are the only ones who don't have Steam keys. If that subset is small enough - and it is likely to be quite small - there could be major long-term hassles. Patches may not be tested on the non-Steam versions or come out later if the vast majority of the players are using the Steam version. Mods, especially if the game eventually uses Steam Workshop - may not be possible to even get on the non-Steam version. There may be other complications like dealing with activation keys in the long-term. It's not a good situation.

I understand Ty's hands are tied, but this opens up a host of potential issues for buyers. It's no longer about forking over the money for a product you may or may not like in alpha with no demo but now it's questionable whether such a buyer will be able to receive long-term support, mods and keys because that buyer will be out in left field.

When Steam keys can be guaranteed again, I'm looking forward to buying it.

Tynan

Well. The game updates will always come out for non-Steam players at the same time as Steam players.

I'm not planning on doing Steam Workshop integration, though it could happen.

Anyway, I respect whichever choice you make. Happy to have you as a customer now or later.

ccheuer

Quote from: Granath on November 29, 2014, 10:40:04 PM
I understand what Ty is saying but this prevented me from buying the game this weekend. I want to buy and support RimWorld because it looks wonderful.

But if I purchase now, I am not guaranteed a Steam key. Everyone who purchased before November 4th is. At some point in the future - for example, 6 months from now if/when the game is Greenlighted or released Early Access on Steam - everyone will get one then too. So there could be a very minor subset of players who are the only ones who don't have Steam keys. If that subset is small enough - and it is likely to be quite small - there could be major long-term hassles. Patches may not be tested on the non-Steam versions or come out later if the vast majority of the players are using the Steam version. Mods, especially if the game eventually uses Steam Workshop - may not be possible to even get on the non-Steam version. There may be other complications like dealing with activation keys in the long-term. It's not a good situation.

I understand Ty's hands are tied, but this opens up a host of potential issues for buyers. It's no longer about forking over the money for a product you may or may not like in alpha with no demo but now it's questionable whether such a buyer will be able to receive long-term support, mods and keys because that buyer will be out in left field.

When Steam keys can be guaranteed again, I'm looking forward to buying it.

With a game such as Rimworld, that has no multiplayer, no Hack detection, and is coded in a very open language, steam and non-steam updates are largely in sync because steam doesn't drastically alter how the game runs. Its mainly those 3 above things that do that, which in turn cause a nightmare for the syncing of the two. Thus, getting it via steam or not effectively will be the same thing because even if  *shudder* Ludeon goes bust, I'm sure there will still be cough *alternative* download links that will last long after the twinkle in our eye is gone. Therefore, there really is no reason to NOT buy it now, even though you aren't getting the steam key, because you can always just manually add it into steam anyways, which is what I have done.

MattTheDamon

It sounds like ty can give out as many keys as he wants anyway they just didnt want him to promise them anymore.So there is a chance he doesnt expect everyone who bought the game after the 4th to buy it again but that is his choice.