Kickstarter next week

Started by Tynan, September 26, 2013, 10:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enystrom8734

Most of the kickstarters that I have backed have not had a demo to play before hand. As such a lot of them had some sort of alpha access. Then a subset of them have access to the pre-alpha build. Honestly I don't think it matters too much at this point. What does matter is getting exposure. Exposure is going to bring people to the kickstarter, not a buggy pre-alpha demo.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Jakadasnake

Quote from: enystrom8734 on September 30, 2013, 11:39:42 PM
Most of the kickstarters that I have backed have not had a demo to play before hand. As such a lot of them had some sort of alpha access. Then a subset of them have access to the pre-alpha build. Honestly I don't think it matters too much at this point. What does matter is getting exposure. Exposure is going to bring people to the kickstarter, not a buggy pre-alpha demo.

Bingo.

Tynan

Well, by the ethos of Kickstarter I'm not selling anything - only asking people to contribute to a game they believe in and want to see exist. It's only appropriate, of course, that those contributors get various benefits for helping - the product itself as well as other community and creative bonuses. Yeah, it gets treated and thought of as a store sometimes, but it really isn't.

Anyway, I won't be giving open public access to the unfinished pre-alpha. I don't want it to represent the game through the coming months when we'll improve upon the design so much that the pre-alpha version will look like crap comparatively.

It was bad enough on BioShock Infinite trying to get people not to take impressions from obsolete screenshots we'd released months before. I can only imagine how terrible it would be to dump out a pre-alpha now and then try to drum up support for the game six or nine months when every part of it has been redone, while everyone's impressions are still fixed by a 9-month-old pre-alpha.

The backers will get the game when the KS ends and continue getting updates, so the publicly available version will always be the latest version. The delay won't be much longer.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

KarateKid

tbh not getting access to a build of the game will definitely make me pledge at least up to the tier where I get access to the current build.
I would pledge anyway because I really want to play this game, but without alpha access I might have pledged less unless there were some other awesome rewards up for grabs ofc.

Semmy

If you take for instanse timber and stone.
He added a tier that made you a tester and gave you acces to the tester forums.

You get some extra kudo's and people who are that dedicated to be a tester can test for ya (-;

i for one would throw all my monies in there well atleast as far as the wife allows it d-;

furthermore i would love a tier in wich you would get to help design a event (invasion) thingydingy.
i got plenty of ideas out of the thousand books i read
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Quote from: Semmy on October 01, 2013, 08:49:05 AM

You get some extra kudo's and people who are that dedicated to be a tester can test for ya (-;

i for one would throw all my monies in there well atleast as far as the wife allows it d-;

furthermore i would love a tier in wich you would get to help design a event (invasion) thingydingy.

You are in luck! Designing an incident is actually one of the reward tiers.

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on October 01, 2013, 11:03:04 AM

good good.
you are doing good work sir.

So are you adding the paid testing? or is that something you are considering.

Like at amount A you get acces to the complete game updates every when you get something stable
and amount b lets you get every version around so you can break it with acces to the testing forum.

assuming its a working forum btw since i can remember the hard tough bugreporting in the ultima online and ever quest days
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Quote from: Semmy on October 01, 2013, 11:08:28 AM
Quote from: Tynan on October 01, 2013, 11:03:04 AM

good good.
you are doing good work sir.

So are you adding the paid testing? or is that something you are considering.

Like at amount A you get acces to the complete game updates every when you get something stable
and amount b lets you get every version around so you can break it with acces to the testing forum.

assuming its a working forum btw since i can remember the hard tough bugreporting in the ultima online and ever quest days

I've added paid testing on your suggestion. Thank you.

British

Are you planning to do a few "early birds" as well ?
That usually works wonders.

Tynan

There's a tier for alpha access (January) and a slightly higher one for pre-alpha access (as soon as the Kickstarter ends).

Tynan

Quote from: British on October 01, 2013, 01:25:40 PM

Oh! Now I understand. No, no cheap early bird rewards. I don't want to clutter up the rewards listing and I don't think it makes much difference anyway.

British

From my experience, it always make a difference.

But you are expecting clutter in your rewards ?
How many do you have right now ? :o

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on October 01, 2013, 01:27:52 PM
Quote from: British on October 01, 2013, 01:25:40 PM

Oh! Now I understand. No, no cheap early bird rewards. I don't want to clutter up the rewards listing and I don't think it makes much difference anyway.

What i can advice is dont make too many tiers it will just clutter up.
I always think that a max of like 10 tiers is enough.

What i personally dislike is stretch goals i dont know your view.
But id say every penny above the wanted amount should go into creating a better game not bigger.
The sales from the released game can be used for that.

I always feel like stretch goals are something like we sold you a 50% game and for more pay more.

But hey thats my 5 cents. d-;
Edmund Burke