Kickstarter next week

Started by Tynan, September 26, 2013, 10:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

That's the day after the RockPaperShotgun article. I only got the forum up at 4pm the day of ( my time, the article went live at 9am my time).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

British

It sounds like getting news of RimWorld is a bit like hide and seek !
In your last post on Bay12 forums, you mention two things I wanted to react to or make people here aware of:
  • The KickStarter campaign will most likely start on thursday
  • One of the pledge rewards will be immediate alpha access
First: yay on having a date !
How solid is it ? Can I put it on the wiki (in case some people stumble upon it inadvertently) ?

Second: You might not want to share the amount you are aiming at, but are you worried/excited/something else about that immediate access in the unlikely case that the KS isn't a success ?
On the other hand, that would give more publicity to RimWorld... hmmm, that's smart.

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 30, 2013, 04:51:48 PM
In your last post on Bay12 forums, you mention two things I wanted to react to or make people here aware of:
How solid is it ? Can I put it on the wiki (in case some people stumble upon it inadvertently) ?

Second: You might not want to share the amount you are aiming at, but are you worried/excited/something else about that immediate access in the unlikely case that the KS isn't a success ?
On the other hand, that would give more publicity to RimWorld... hmmm, that's smart.

First, it is solid, i've had a look at the draft kickstarter page and immediate pre alpha after the kickstarter ends is one of the tiers.

Second, idk.

Tynan

Quote from: British on September 30, 2013, 04:51:48 PM

The date is a bit shaky. So please don't be spreading it too much.

Immediate access is happening no matter what. We've already got the game to give to people. And it's not _immediate_ access, it's access when the KS ends. And if the KS fails, nobody will be getting any rewards anyway. Though I'm hoping this is unlikely.

British

Well OK, but when I read "immediate", it sounds an awful lot like, you know, "immediate" :P
You might want to clear that up on Bay12 as well...

In any case, while it makes more sense that way, it's a bit sad: having to wait 4+ more weeks is going to be atrocious, seeing how the last couple weeks have been :'(

Tynan

Quote from: British on September 30, 2013, 05:14:01 PM
Well OK, but when I read "immediate", it sounds an awful lot like, you know, "immediate" :P
You might want to clear that up on Bay12 as well...

In any case, while it makes more sense that way, it's a bit sad: having to wait 4+ more weeks is going to be atrocious, seeing how the last couple weeks have been :'(

Sorry; the distinction is clear on the KS page. I was careful about this after hearing how DwarfCorp got ragged on for making that same mistake.

Tynan

I wonder if I could change it to giving the game out when the KS hits its goal. Hmm.

Hypolite

It makes sense to me: if you don't reach your KS goal, the game won't theoretically be published, and the early access for all backers lose its interest while adding more pressure to you until the KS end.

If you need more time to get out an alpha up to your standards, go on. Remember we're in "pre-alpha" by your exact words.

nomadseifer

Quote from: Tynan on September 30, 2013, 05:19:36 PM
I wonder if I could change it to giving the game out when the KS hits its goal. Hmm.

People could manipulate the kickstarter to get the game released and then cancel their pledges.  Pretty sleazy but, you know, the internet. 
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

xTAMERx

Quote from: Hypolite on September 30, 2013, 05:42:03 PM
It makes sense to me: if you don't reach your KS goal, the game won't theoretically be published, and the early access for all backers lose its interest while adding more pressure to you until the KS end.

If you need more time to get out an alpha up to your standards, go on. Remember we're in "pre-alpha" by your exact words.

yes and u dont get ur money  8)

Tynan

Quote from: nomadseifer on September 30, 2013, 05:43:22 PM
Quote from: Tynan on September 30, 2013, 05:19:36 PM

People could manipulate the kickstarter to get the game released and then cancel their pledges.  Pretty sleazy but, you know, the internet.

Ugh you're right.

elemenofi

I know this may sound rough and improper but when can we estimate to be able to play the damn game? Lol please excuse my foul language :) I am just eager.

Hypolite

Wait. How com the game could be released if people canceled their pledge?

If you need more time, you should wait until the campaign ends. If the goal is reached, you get paid and backers get the Alpha of the game. If the goal is not reached, backers get their money back but don't get access to the game.

Or is there a thing that I miss?

Fenex

So even if we pay for kickstarter immediate access we will have to wait for 4 more weeks?
How will I stand the wait?

Tynan

Quote from: Hypolite on September 30, 2013, 05:57:59 PM
Wait. How com the game could be released if people canceled their pledge?

If you need more time, you should wait until the campaign ends. If the goal is reached, you get paid and backers get the Alpha of the game. If the goal is not reached, backers get their money back but don't get access to the game.

Or is there a thing that I miss?

If it reaches the goal, and I immediately send the game out, people can then cancel their pledges and not be charged. They've gotten the game for free and if enough of them do it the KS will fail.