use concrete to fill in marshes, mud, and shallow water

Started by Laos, November 20, 2014, 06:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laos

I wasn't sure if this was suggested already though I think I couldn't find it. Basically concrete involves digging out the ground and filling it in - so why not let it work with mud, swamp, and shallow water, which in a real world sense you would do exactly that with - dig out and fill with concrete to make into regular floors - especially with the indoor caves.

Thoughts?

Zael

Seems legit. I just use the fertilizer pump to clear areas that I can't do anything on though.
I don't see why we can't at least sand fill in marshes or mud. Dry the area with stone blocks that have been crushed into sand, if you needed an excuse for a resource to use for sand.

Damien Hart

Concrete itself wouldn't do, as it only affects the surface; underneath would still be soft, and the building would shift over time (Leaning Tower of RimWorld?).

I suggested somewhere using proper foundations, which would cost a decent bit of metal and stone to construct, that would then be treated like any other floor, so you could build your wooden floorboards, carpets, etc. over the top.

Laos

Concrete isn't just the surface - many houses are built on concrete slabs dug into the ground - you'd just need to dig deep enough to remove the improper ground (just like digging out a cavity from a tooth)

Foundation is the same premise though, just different wording. Sand, concrete - anything to make unusable ground usable.

Damien Hart

I was a little non-specific in my first post, sorry. What I mean is that the concrete already in the game, being quite cheap, can be reasonably assumed to be quite shallow, like a footpath or something similar.

Considering it would need to be fairly deep to support a building on the softer terrain, not to mention in water, a separate object should be used, with a higher cost reflecting the increased volume, with stone for aggregate and metal for rebar.