Problem finding metal?

Started by nuschler22, November 22, 2014, 04:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

I'm running out of metal fairly quickly (even using other sources to build most of my construction when available).

There seems to be little metal in my forest.  Is there a way to find metal other than blindly drilling mountains? 

Goo Poni

Short of resorting to mods or screenshot programs bugging out on you, there is little way to readily acquire metal aside from industrial trade ships or enacting a holy war against the mountains.

christhekiller

My preferred method is the holy war on mountains. Barring that however there's also machining mechanoids and smelting slag chunks. Aside for waiting for metal to drop from the sky your only other option is to buy it from industrial merchants

nuschler22

I've been warring on my mountains as well, but all I'm finding is marble and slate. 

Boo marble and slate.

Goo Poni

I almost don't like that aspect of the stuff system because early on, I might reduce a rocky outcrop made of one material to nothing so I can use the rocks. Then I'll start big mining operations later on and I get an ungodly amount of some other type of material that's a different shade and colour to the one I used originally. So either I put up with the mismatched walls or I tear down walls, collapse a few roofs and cause havoc with the power supply while I rebuild with new materials. I'm also unsure if any of the rocks are significantly better than the others, ergo, I should use those defensively whenever possible. Granite is pretty solid stuff, so is marble. Sandstone? Limestone? Not so much. Slate? Nah.

Wex

Chop a TON af wood, you're in a forest, this should happen even for necessity.
Sell it to an exotic or a combat trader (0.50 silver on average).
Wait for an industrial trader (they have metal).
?????????
Profit!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

skullywag

The amount of metal on traders should be enough to build most things, just need to make sure you stock up on sellables, problem is you dont want it to turn into trade sim 2014.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

nuschler22

I can get it easily trading but unfortunately the trade ships have stopped arriving recently. 

Quasarrgames

METAL FUSION POWARR!

Let me explain:

1. You construct a bunch of metal walls
2. you BLOW THEM ALL UP ala frag grenades and turn them ALL into slag
3. you build many many many many many many many many slag refineries
4. you get all your colonists to smelt the slag into metal
5. you do it again!

cost to build normal metal wall: 4 metal
metal extracted from one peice of slag, which is yeilded from one destroyed normal metal wall: 7 metal

:) :) :) :) :) :)PROFIT! :) :) :) :) :) :)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

jjgoldman

Quote from: Quasarrgames on November 24, 2014, 05:16:12 PM
METAL FUSION POWARR!

Let me explain:

1. You construct a bunch of metal walls
2. you BLOW THEM ALL UP ala frag grenades and turn them ALL into slag
3. you build many many many many many many many many slag refineries
4. you get all your colonists to smelt the slag into metal
5. you do it again!

cost to build normal metal wall: 4 metal
metal extracted from one peice of slag, which is yeilded from one destroyed normal metal wall: 7 metal

:) :) :) :) :) :)PROFIT! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Well if that's correct I'd be surprised if it survives.