Day system

Started by Romi, November 23, 2014, 07:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romi

Don't you guys think the colonist every day they just: work,work,work,work...........well it would be nice if there could be a day system.And you can set priorities on every day to each colonist.For exemple:
Allen will cut the grass only monday
Allen will build only Tuesday.
Etc.
And sunday everybody should rest.

REMworlder

Gnomoria has a somewhat related time-based system for military guard duty, but it's based on time of day instead of day of the week. A unit may be assigned to stand guard duty from 6pm-11pm, for example. A similar feature in Rimworld would be cool, where colonists work certain times and sleep/recreate others.

Johnny Masters

Pretty much every (good) game in the genre -Dungeon keeper, space colony, beach life, evil genius, startopia and the somewhat newer/under development  dwarf fortress, gnomorria, maia, spacebase df9? - have some sort of work shift control &/or recreation. It's such a little detail that has such a huge impact on gameplay and flavor that makes me wonder why it isn't implemented yet.

But to answer, yes it would be nice, although not as you describe, but a similar system indeed.

Japzzi

I would like to see this in the game but only as a sort of ''guard duty'' :).

stefanstr

I think I would like to see it if the game shifted away from the constant raids. Currently, whatever schedule I would have would be nullified anyway by the inevitable raider assault and the resulting repair work.

BetaSpectre

Work shifts would be interesting but we d need colonist guard zones first, and without law breaking or infiltrators guards arent terribly useful.

Working does need some optimization, but I d like more focus on bases and world exploration.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Johnny Masters

Yeah, that's why i think the game would profit a whole lot by having a fog of war dynamic. FoW adds tension through the unknown, which fits the genre, but also has the added benefits of empowering guard duties and work shifts in general, plus requiring less, way less, number of enemies to make the game challenging, which is one of the main criticisms in the game right now.

But somehow some people and dev cling to the idea that complete omniscience of the map and pawn (friend & foes) is somehow superior, even though pretty much everyone is used to the idea of fog of war and there's a plethora of flavorful and (more) immersive ways to provide full map view (cameras, guards, radar, etc). Also its way better IMO to discover stuff as you go, for those who like exploring stuff.

Question, does the enemy knows the location of your people just as you know theirs? My guess is that with FoW there would be a much better play of cat & mouse if either didn't know their locations, you could even have a safe vault/bunker where you could move your population until a overwhelming attack is over. I wouldn't know because I always play in the open, and they always seem to know where i hide my people.

BetaSpectre

Fog of war is interesting but seeing as though everything is in the future sensors could be high power and cheap

But for the start of the game fog of war would fit the setting, but without z levels there can't be any underground so no reason not to have an omniscient AI since their sensors and ships still work making it a wonder why they aren't using those ships to destroy you.

I'm all for fog of war if implemented well, but as is i'd rather go without it.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO