Centipede Tactics

Started by litlbear, November 25, 2014, 08:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Shooting skill means nothing to mortars btw. Forced miss.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

keylocke

Quote from: skullywag on November 27, 2014, 12:07:43 PM
Shooting skill means nothing to mortars btw. Forced miss.

yea. that's why i man them with non-combatants, melee units, and people with crappy shooting skills. (as i stated before, lol)

skullywag

Ah sorry i took "people with crappy shooting skill" to mean you were taking it into account. Reading it back again i see that wasnt the case. :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

keylocke

Quote from: skullywag on November 27, 2014, 12:43:15 PM
Ah sorry i took "people with crappy shooting skill" to mean you were taking it into account. Reading it back again i see that wasnt the case. :)

er yea, no probs man. it cool.  ;D

keylocke

anyways, back to topic : as for my defense against centipedes, raiders, whatevs.. check this out.

1) green boxes tagged with "X" : if i have enough time, i build wooden wall tiles in those locations to temporarily block passages B and C to force enemies to go through passage A.

2) passage A : is this slow winding path paved by sandbags and zigzagged with stone material equipment racks. this prevents enemies from shooting at us while we gun them down.

3) white Z : i place each troop behind a wall tile, allowing them to shoot from behind the turrets. the walls give them cover and it allows them to quickly repair turrets beside them. the walls separating each turret is also useful to prevent exploding chain reactions. the Z passage is also an easy way for rescuing incapped colonists. although i don't remember getting incapped since enemies don't even get a chance to shoot back. (enemies don't shoot while standing on top of a sandbag exploit! lol) also, placing an EMP grenadier near the entrance allows me to spam grenades at them

4) passage B : is the main entrance/exit to my base. it is paved with stone tiles, allowing for fast traversal. once the enemies starts to retreat, i deconstruct the temporary wood walls i use to block this passage and then send all my troops quickly outside to intercept fleeing enemies. (i usually reach the exit before they do.) because of this, few enemies actually manages to escape.

5) passage C : is for the trade beacon and the mortar area. (and eventually the solar panel areas); any raider/mech that drops here will eventually still have to go through the killbox before reaching my main base.

----------------

anyways, passage A is the most important part :
'coz of the "enemies can't shoot while standing on a sandbag" exploit + the "i can shoot over furnitures like an embrassure" exploit.

everything else just makes things more "efficient"..

Goo Poni

Looks like a pretty good killbox though how bad is it when trying to remove bodies? Always feels like you have to send your colonists off with two weeks of rations to retrieve a body, it takes so long. Plus, I've never had a need to build a killbox, the raids haven't been overwhelming, even with mods dramatically increasing colony wealth which would usually spell disaster.

keylocke

easy, i just deconstruct one of the equipment racks near passage B for a quick shortcut.  ;D

edit : i have to keep rebuilding the damaged ones anyways coz for some strange reason, my colonists don't seem to repair them. (racks and sandbags)

edit 2 : i just changed racks into stone beds (360hp) vs stone racks (240hp)  :)

btw, the zigzag thingie wasn't my idea. i just saw someone do something similar (the dude playing 10 year game) and adopted it to my own killbox.

edit 3 : oh lol. it turns out they only repair stuff that are inside the home zone.. ugh..  ???

edit 4 : ack i take it back. (i forgot, that beds are passable.. ugh..) racks all the way. lol -_-