I miss the self fed prisons

Started by woolfoma, November 25, 2014, 12:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woolfoma

I wish we could still use nutrient dispensers in our prisons so we don't have to make meals or have people walk over to them with the meals :(
I used to be able to support way more prisoners because they never needed to be interacted with, just pile food in the hoppers and recruit the survivors :D
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

christhekiller

I didn't even know that was a thing until it was no longer a thing! :(

Japzzi

Same here! o; I had one of my wardens starve to death because he found it more important to give the prisoners food than feeding himself :'(

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Igabod

you know you can put a 1x1 stockpile for just simple meals in the prison and the prisoners will eat from that whenever they get hungry, freeing your warden to do whatever else needs doing. Though this usually works better for the prisons which house everybody in one big room. You tend to waste a lot of food if you do one in each room in the prison. But if you are like me and produce way more food than you eat this isn't such a big deal.

Wex

To circumvent this problem, I feed raw potatoes to my prisoners.
A zone for storage, critical setting.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Igabod

Quote from: Wex on November 25, 2014, 05:54:36 PM

I never grow potatoes. Strawberries are way better, they don't upset people when eaten raw. A happy prisoner is a compliant prisoner.

mumblemumble

cant you just tell the warden not to feed the prisoners so they will feed themselves?

I'm pretty sure they will still take food from it before dying...
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Igabod

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 25, 2014, 07:16:54 PM
cant you just tell the warden not to feed the prisoners so they will feed themselves?

nope, if you click on a bed in the prison you'll see an orange area light up showing what the prisoners can access. NPD and plant pots (for some reason) are not within the orange area. it appears from Tynan's post that this was not intended though so it will probably be changed in A8.

christhekiller

Quote from: mumblemumble on November 25, 2014, 07:16:54 PM

Nah. I had a nutrient paste machine in a prison and my main warden (the one whose primary job it is to warden) get sick so I was keeping him in bed. I didn't even realize the prisoners were starving until I noticed two had died.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Igabod on November 25, 2014, 06:32:56 PM
Quote from: Wex on November 25, 2014, 05:54:36 PM

I never grow potatoes. Strawberries are way better, they don't upset people when eaten raw. A happy prisoner is a compliant prisoner.
That's what "friendly chat" is for. That, and social training. And recruiting. But still, it keeps the prisoners' morale way too high to mentally break.

Strawberries are better raw, but otherwise a bad choice, since you get more potatoes. Also, berries, potatoes, etc. provide less nutrition when raw than when in nutrient paste or a simple meal. (10 potatoes: 50 nutrition. meal/paste made of 10 potatoes: at least 70 nutrition. research + paste made of 9 potatoes: at least 70 nutrition.)

Raw meat has 10 nutrition, instead of 5, so eating raw meat appears to actually be more efficient than cooking/pasting it. So, if you're trying to feed raw food to prisoners, go with meat. Possibly even human meat. I've never tried it, but friendly chatting should still counter the big eating-raw-humans morale penalty.

On topic: Huh. I thought I read somewhere (here or reddit) that that was intentionally removed since people were confused about why colonists wouldn't use a prison's NPD, but I don't think it was a Tynan post. It was probably either wrong or I'm not remembering right. (I've definitely read that prison NPDs don't work, like this thread says, so I never tried one)

If this changed, I'd love to use it; it would save the cooking time for prisoners while letting my colonists still get cooked meals, and it might save some hauling.

The nutrient paste changes in the next alpha would probably help even more, unless friendly chatting changes too.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

woolfoma

Quote from: Tynan on November 25, 2014, 03:57:12 PM
:o

This should still work. Hmm.
so we might get this back ?!?
btw guys, the reason you can't do it is because anything in prisons can't be interacted with (dead bodies in prisons can't be cremated until hauled out)

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

christhekiller

I usually grow a mixture of both potatoes and berries. Berries I keep stockpiled in case there's a solar flare and my supply of meals doesn't outlast it, and I'll have the potatoes be whats first cooked into meals and made into nutrient paste

ccheuer

Quote from: woolfoma on November 25, 2014, 12:54:09 PM
I wish we could still use nutrient dispensers in our prisons so we don't have to make meals or have people walk over to them with the meals :(
I used to be able to support way more prisoners because they never needed to be interacted with, just pile food in the hoppers and recruit the survivors :D

put a storage section set to high priority in your prison that can only take food, same thing.