Yes
44 (60.3%)
No
29 (39.7%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: December 02, 2014, 04:38:29 AM

RayvenQ

Quote from: slauenbach on November 30, 2014, 08:39:58 AM
He hasnt released an update in like forever he doesnt need a day off!

It's called patience.

At least we can play the game in its various iterations and not have to wait years for the final product. He may take months between releasing updates at times, but look at the changelog and then try and say that with a serious face.

HaturiHanzo

Luckless

He should clearly work 18 hour days, every day, and be forced to listen to people constantly nagging and harassing him about updates and how he sucks at his job because there are bugs, or features aren't done exactly the way a small but overly vocal minority wants them... this should clearly continue until he is so fed up with the community that he gives everyone the finger, deletes everything, and go takes a job writing banking software or something.

But really, scheduling breaks and time off is an important thing. It is so easy for developers to burn out, or get into the 'ineffective coding' slump that appears like they're making headway, but are really writing nasty hack code that will just become a nightmare over time and slow development in the future. And members of the community need to remember that writing software is NOT easy to do well, and is not a quick thing. Things take time.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Thydread

Quote from: Luckless on December 01, 2014, 11:59:00 AM
He should clearly work 18 hour days, every day, and be forced to listen to people constantly nagging and harassing him about updates and how he sucks at his job because there are bugs, or features aren't done exactly the way a small but overly vocal minority wants them... this should clearly continue until he is so fed up with the community that he gives everyone the finger, deletes everything, and go takes a job writing banking software or something.

I would love to know who many people thought this was not sarcasm. xD

and i know a though programmers that really don't know when to take a break and end up not eating and...well lets just say its gets messy, but from following the daily updates, Breaks are taken...some times, and lets face it its not the place of faceless keyboard typerers (xD) to tell him when and when not to take a break.
Can i
NO!
But
NO!
I just
NO!
FOOD
ok

Luckless

Yeah, anyone who didn't get the hint that my previous comment was sarcastic is probably in for a very awkward time in life.

However, I think it is good for communities around projects like this to understand how development works, and encourage the developers to work at a sustainable pace.

Many DO work far too hard, putting in far too many hours early on in a project. I've seen some independent developer types who put in 160-190 hour work weeks on their projects for a year or more and rarely taking a day off, thinking that they were doing such a great thing by getting sooooo much done. Then the burnout hits, and development grinds to a halt. Customers become pissed, and relations evaporate. Then I would see many hitting brick walls in their own code base when they finally did manage to get their head back around and focus on development again. Lots of little hacks, and half documented code everywhere. Developing software is easy when it is all fresh in your brain. Your mind is able to handle everything and keep track of what exactly is going on in each section, and remember what needs improvement/advancement... But once you start dropping the balls, then things can really unravel in a hurry. Had they been working far slower, with 40, or even just 30 hours a week, then they're forced to put down the balls and then actually Look at stuff each time they come back to it after a break. Design flaws get spotted so much easier, and you ask yourself "Why on earth would I do it that way?" The sooner a change is made or an error corrected, then the smaller the impact on the entire project is.

So, really the short of my comment is: Remain Calm. Software development is a hard and complex thing to do correctly, and the long term payoff can be far more with a more sedate development cycle than one of breakneck speed which produces vast amounts of half-baked content for you to temporarily enjoy.

StorymasterQ

Stay Calm and Wait for Bugfixes

...Changelog: You guessed it! Bugfixes!

Alpha is coming.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Lord Fappington

Quote from: skullywag on November 30, 2014, 10:47:40 AM
Quote from: slauenbach on November 30, 2014, 08:39:58 AM
He hasnt released an update in like forever he doesnt need a day off!

"Like forever" *sigh*, some people....its not a content update its the next version of an alpha. He could have not bothered and just still been in closed development. If you can't wait you shouldn't have bought in. Capiche. :)

I agree, coding is hard and coding right, like doing anything right, takes some time!  Also, one needs to have time off IMO least their creativity be sapped through sheer overexposure to one thing.

putsam

To me (even though I don't code) coding seems like making a new piece of music, you take ideas from geniuses, mix it with your own personal inspiration, and feel good when stuff feels done right.

Tynan

Glad you see at least like 60% of you think I should have 'a' day off :p

I was a tad worried when it was trending 60% the other way.

But anyway. Sometimes if I write stuff on the changelog it doesn't indicate a full day of work. I may just chill and write code for 2 hours on sunday while everyone is asleep. Stuff like that. I find working on the game more fun than playing most games, so I tend to do it in all the situations where someone else might just game.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

RayvenQ

Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2014, 01:23:09 AM
Glad you see at least like 60% of you think I should have 'a' day off :p

I was a tad worried when it was trending 60% the other way.

But anyway. Sometimes if I write stuff on the changelog it doesn't indicate a full day of work. I may just chill and write code for 2 hours on sunday while everyone is asleep. Stuff like that. I find working on the game more fun than playing most games, so I tend to do it in all the situations where someone else might just game.

sometimes you just need to step away, take a break and clear your head and come at things afresh,  especially when you're working on figuring a solution to something.  You should take a week off now and then, just to recharge, I'm sure anyone with a brain wouldn't begrudge you that!