New random event suggestions

Started by kingtyris, November 29, 2014, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

The random events can get a little stale after the 400th time you see the same one, so this thread is for relatively cheap ideas for a little more variety.

Some ideas:
-Enemy supply convoy. Groups from enemy colonies will pass through your territory. They will avoid your settlement, but you can sally out to attack and claim booty, weapons and captives.
-Debris shower. Metal slag from destroyed spacecraft falls from space, causing damage to your colony.

Zael

+1 for earthquakes and cave-ins plz xD

Dafaq1029

Theres actually a mod that adds a ton more of random events if you want to check it out.

http://www.nexusmods.com/rimworld/mods/59/?tab=3&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Frimworld%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D59%26gid%3D424

Never tried it, but if you do, please tell me what you think about it  ;D

Unwitnessed

Quote from: kingtyris on November 29, 2014, 03:06:22 PM
-Enemy supply convoy. Groups from enemy colonies will pass through your territory. They will avoid your settlement, but you can sally out to attack and claim booty, weapons and captives.

I like this idea a lot.  I always wondered why enemy operatives wouldn't pass by your colony ever.  It would make it much more interesting.  You could set up choke points and traps for them in places on the map.

Snowpig

@Spring/Fall: Hail - works like rain, but damages some stuff which is constructed outside

Wex

Quote from: Snowpig on December 02, 2014, 07:19:05 AM
@Spring/Fall: Hail - works like rain, but damages some stuff which is constructed outside
No, no. It destroy crops on the outside! Better yet, only berries!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

JimmyAgnt007

I know aliens aren't in for lore reasons.  BUT!  Alien abductions from a mysterious grey alien race who takes colonists and maybe rearranges stats, passions, alters hair, changes traits, regrows lost limbs/organs or removes healthy ones, and applies a random mood mod (maybe they were terrified or maybe they rather enjoyed the forced breeding program like the professor in futurama)  Could do a lot of things.  They get returned eventually and rejoin the colony. 

mega

Stroke
Heart attack
Aneurysm
New colony on surface of planet
Destruction of other colony
Earthquake
Volcano
Mega volcano (Drops temperature by 5C for a year, lowers sunlight levels)
Flood
Bed bug infestation
Termites
Ants
Mold (lowers breathing)
Cold snap (opposite of heat wave)
Drought
Locusts (Kills swaths of plants across map)

BinaryBlackhole

Mechanoid hive like the damaged ship part but endlessly spawns mechanoids at a slower rate easy to get rid of at the start but leave it and it will grow stronger.

Fruit loops

Volcano.

All geothermal generators produce less power for a while
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

ousire

I posted a thread about this sort of idea quite a while back (All the way in alpha 2!) suggesting new events.

here's the thread, I won't copy the suggestions over since it'd be a rather huge post.