212 build feedback

Started by DanielW, September 27, 2013, 05:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sire

Quote from: Tynan on September 29, 2013, 08:50:29 PM
-When it was important, it would often obstruct players in an annoying way. I classify this system as a new way to obstruct players, not a new way to give them opportunities. Yes, interesting stories could emerge from ammo shortages, but I'm not sure it's worth the annoyances of dealing with the logistics behind it

That's exactly my thoughts. It's almost like you've written a book about game design ;)

Turbo

Quote from: Tynan on September 29, 2013, 08:50:29 PM
Ammo is a real idea; it's kind of weird it's missing. There's a lot of other stuff I want to address first, though. Ammo is lower priority because

-It wouldn't really become important very often
-When it was important, it would often obstruct players in an annoying way. I classify this system as a new way to obstruct players, not a new way to give them opportunities. Yes, interesting stories could emerge from ammo shortages, but I'm not sure it's worth the annoyances of dealing with the logistics behind it
-There are many other systems that rate higher in design benefit versus design cost, to my mind. Making the AI manage ammo well would be really hard; they payoff would be minimal.

If we did do ammo, the first version would be limited to artillery pieces (which aren't yet in the game, though they were there in a super early prototype last year, with FTL-style direct controls)

Perhaps you could have a random event where there is an ammo shortage and all your colonists and gun turrets shoot half as much to conserve ammo?
Whatever happens, happens.

British

Quote from: Turbo on October 12, 2013, 07:55:49 PM
Perhaps you could have a random event where there is an ammo shortage and all your colonists and gun turrets shoot half as much to conserve ammo?
The infamous ammo-blight ? ::) :P

Turbo

Quote from: British on October 13, 2013, 04:32:40 AM
Quote from: Turbo on October 12, 2013, 07:55:49 PM
The infamous ammo-blight ? ::) :P

Yes, the fabled blight of '63.  ;)
Whatever happens, happens.