Send owl downloads

Started by riot186, November 07, 2013, 05:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohreb

Quote from: rsdworker on November 08, 2013, 05:31:14 PM
Quote from: Tynan on November 08, 2013, 05:19:33 PM
It actually just resets in a weird way where it can go above the maximum, which confuses people as to what the maximum was. Don't worry too much, it is working.

ah so there is other way to download unlimited - maybe provide a different link?

i think it would make some security problems (which might be the origin of this download / timers in the origin)
(if it guess up to 5 at each update that should be enough i think, hope it is not painful for Tynan to request ...) then at the final release hopefully there will be a simpler system to release ...

null

Quote from: mohreb on November 08, 2013, 08:21:03 PM
It actually just resets in a weird way where it can go above the maximum, which confuses people as to what the maximum was. Don't worry too much, it is working.

ah so there is other way to download unlimited - maybe provide a different link?

i think it would make some security problems (which might be the origin of this download / timers in the origin)
(if it guess up to 5 at each update that should be enough i think, hope it is not painful for Tynan to request ...) then at the final release hopefully there will be a simpler system to release ...

Limited downloads are a form of Digital Restriction Mechanism, and therefore render software Defective By Design.
I can understand that Tynan uses such a system in the beginning, just because it's easy, but really, I hope eventually RimWorld will be available on Desura, and, as usual, without any need for Digital Restriction Mechanisms. Because good games don't need them (and bad ones don't have any use for them, either.).

Blackbird

I'm also having the same problem.  I was actually a little taken aback when I saw there were download limits.  I would recommend you seriously reconsider using a system to restrict downloads.  If it's a bandwidth issue, use mirrors, or a peer-to-peer protocol in addition to the regular downloads.  People who will pirate will just download them from elsewhere.  Accept that it will happen, and realize there is no way to restrict it in any meaningful way.  Any attempts at doing so will, at best, inconvenience those who have supported you so far. 

Realize that most people will want to buy your game if it's any good, and think of piracy as another way to increase exposure of the game, like radio, or YouTube.  As others have said, you may want to consider releasing on Desura (and GOG once it's ready for debut).  While it's true these platforms will take a cut of the profits, the exposure generated could be worth it. 

JEBWrench

Quote from: null on November 08, 2013, 08:50:09 PM
Quote from: mohreb on November 08, 2013, 08:21:03 PM

Limited downloads are a form of Digital Restriction Mechanism, and therefore render software Defective By Design.
I can understand that Tynan uses such a system in the beginning, just because it's easy, but really, I hope eventually RimWorld will be available on Desura, and, as usual, without any need for Digital Restriction Mechanisms. Because good games don't need them (and bad ones don't have any use for them, either.).

Desura is also a form of DRM.

W1Z25

the goal is that in the long run there will be a launcher with an auto updater

null

Quote from: JEBWrench on November 08, 2013, 11:55:54 PM

Nope, unlike Steam, Desura is a shop. It doesn't have any DRM included, you just buy a game and afterward can play it without any interaction with Linden Labs. Desura is agnostic towards Digital Restriction Mechanisms. If you have a game with DRM on Desura, then those are restrictions from the game developer, not Desura.
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/1259

JEBWrench

Quote from: null on November 09, 2013, 12:29:00 AM
Quote from: JEBWrench on November 08, 2013, 11:55:54 PM

Nope, unlike Steam, Desura is a shop. It doesn't have any DRM included, you just buy a game and afterward can play it without any interaction with Linden Labs. Desura is agnostic towards Digital Restriction Mechanisms. If you have a game with DRM on Desura, then those are restrictions from the game developer, not Desura.
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/1259

Ah. My mistake, sorry! PM'd you a question regarding it to avoid any further derailing.

Tynan

If you run out of attempts (you'll start with 5) for your copy, please just email me and I can reset it for you. [email protected]
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Goldberger

Quote from: Tynan on November 11, 2013, 12:20:32 PM
If you run out of attempts (you'll start with 5) for your copy, please just email me and I can reset it for you. [email protected]

very good, i live in 2 places and downloaded the latest version there and well i thought that i will use usb memory to get the game here so i save one download.. well the damn usb memory has problems so files are corrupt and i had to download it again so i'm down to 1 download now..

Seems when new version is out i'm at 0 downloads then so i will be sending e-mail then :D

natedes

Could you reset mine aswell
:)

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog