Seasonal Harvesting

Started by Dr. Z, December 10, 2014, 04:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

So, when Tynan came up with tempature and seasons, I asked if there would be just one harvesting season per year, like in reality. He said no, because that would be a really big change, but out of curiosity, I did a little math example.

- Best case you have a NPD with resynthesis, maning nine potatos per meal
- A colonist eats two times per day (I think?)
- A RimWorld year has 12 months with 15 days each
- You start with three colonists
- One tile can hold 75 potatos
- A potato plant gives (now) an average of four potatos when harvested.

So you would need storage capacities for 9,720 potatos, meaning 130 tiles, and with the current output 2,430 potato plants as an absolute minimum, without having emergency supplies for blights, new arriving colonists, or fires. On the other hand, hunting and drop pods and raids on visitors/siegers aren't count in here either, so i guess at the end you would be somewhere around those numbers.

What do you think about that?
Prasie the Squirrel!

keylocke

if you meant by seasonal harvesting as :

-you can't plant crops outside during winter under freezing temperature and snow, then yea. you can't plant stuff there. same thing in the deserts, coz of the heat. it's mostly dependent on temperature. plants are sensitive to that jazz.

but there's an easy work around for this :
-hydroponics
-temperature controlled rooms (both for growing and preservation of food)

so i guess that means you can grow plants year round. you just need to be mindful of outside temperature (coz of the seasons and stuff)

Dr. Z

I mean that plants are not fully grown in 5 days, but there's one time in the year wen you pplant them, and one time when you harvest them. Just like in real life.
Prasie the Squirrel!

StorymasterQ

The difference is that here, you don't have to plant all of them at the same time. You can stagger the planting days and harvest days and then you may not have to store anything at all. All food is made by the day's harvest.

Not like in real life, where you have to dedicate at least a day every week to harvest go to the supermarket.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here