[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket2guns

using "cold" on seed for largest world also gives a max -90 winter square

Also, love the mod!

iame6162013

Quote from: rocket2guns on December 14, 2014, 10:43:42 AM
using "cold" on seed for largest world also gives a max -90 winter square

Also, love the mod!
-90? That's insane i must try it out!

and thank you!
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

ITOS

Never above -20. Below -100 in the winter. Love it. :)

iame6162013

Quote from: ITOS on December 14, 2014, 01:54:30 PM
Never above -20. Below -100 in the winter. Love it. :)
Jesus, you guys holding a competition to get the coldest temperature? :D
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

julsruls

i wish someone would find a seed with temperatures that are always under -100(or make a mod)

123nick

Quote from: julsruls on December 14, 2014, 08:42:45 PM
i wish someone would find a seed with temperatures that are always under -100(or make a mod)
that sounds so cold the colonists will be colonisicles before the drop pods even open.

Rhadamant

Quote from: 123nick on December 14, 2014, 09:25:20 PM
Quote from: julsruls on December 14, 2014, 08:42:45 PM
that sounds so cold the colonists will be colonisicles before the drop pods even open.

I started a game with a -120oF winter and I started the game in December and its mid may now and all of my colonists are fine. I landed in -127o temperatures that dipped to -135 or so and didn't start going up into the double digit negatives until March or so.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8069.0

I wrote a story to go along with their survival. It is definitely do-able. I did it without ever wearing a parka or tuque too.

securitycop

NephilimNexus

iame6162013

absentminded

Quote from: Rikiki on December 11, 2014, 05:40:49 PM
Are there any animals to hunt on this kind of biome? Penguin, seal, white bear or walrus?
I remember ItchyFlee implemented some biomes for Alpha 6(?) with penguins. You may ask him for the texture.

Nice idea for a good starting challenge! :)

No animals would make it stand out from the other biomes more.
Currently in the base game you never really have to face the cannibalism or bust question, ice sheets seem the perfect place for that.

Viperlol

I feel like the ice sheet biome needs a little more, in the sense of animals, maybe just make a quick retexture of one or two animals and slap them in.
When in doubt, rely on everyone else to fix up your .xml

Rikiki

They won't last for long as they will never find any grass to eat...
The ice sheet animals must have a new AI to find their food by another way.

iame6162013

Quote from: Viperlol on December 15, 2014, 07:01:09 AM
I feel like the ice sheet biome needs a little more, in the sense of animals, maybe just make a quick retexture of one or two animals and slap them in.
Quote from: Rikiki on December 15, 2014, 07:09:42 AM
Yea, you see the problem right there
and adding grass is kinda bad cause i don't want you have an easy way to get soil(food).

absentminded

Quote from: Rikiki on December 15, 2014, 07:09:42 AM

That could be a good thing, stray animals lost, running for shelter, die outside your fort, if you're lucky.

The other alternative would be animals who eat dead people, so they'd hunt and kill colonists or scavenging the battlefields after fending off attackers, but that'd probably be a whole 'nother mods worth of modding.